Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I don't get why preschool dont allow them.

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM
  • 68 Replies

Diapers. I am a daycare teacher myslef and I have almost all the kids in my class wearing diapers full time. Now I get daycare kids are usualy younger, but I have four preschool aged kids who are forced to remain in daycare becuase they are behind on pottytraining. Insight?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bloomsr
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Preschool focuses more on cooperative play and education. Changing 10-15 diapers a day (one diaper per child) would seriously hinder that. I have to think that if a parent discussed the diaper issue w the preschool the facility may be willing to accept an untrained child.
cheriem86
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM
2 moms liked this
There are actually state health regulations which have to be maintained for diaper changing. Most preschools simply do not have the resources or facilities needed to keep up with these standards.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CometGirl
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Our preschool has 64 state standards that each child has to meet to be allowed to enter kindergarten. There is not enough time in the school year to teach these standards AND change 15 diapers/day too.
HopesNDreams
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Preschool programs are regulated by the Department of Education. Daycare is regulated by the Department of Welfare. There are different standards, student to teacher ratios, and expectations.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I'm pretty sure it has to do with health codes. 

corrinacs
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with bloomsr.  My son was in the same boat.  He was more than ready f or preschool, but he wasn't quite potty trained yet.  I knew the director personally, so I talked to her about it.  She just let him in teh new room, no hassles.  She said that he just needed to see his peers potty trained :P).  And it worked, less than a month later, he was fully potty trained!

littlelessa
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Are ther no schools in your area that allow diapers?  The 2 schools I worked in allowed them.  I live in Northern California.  It would be sad if you couldn't find a place.  In a lot of ways potty training is easier when it is done in a group of peers.

paganmommy4
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Because at four years old, they need to be potty trained

Matriarch87
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:20 AM
My insight? Just like you can't enter kindergarten until you can tie your shoes you can't go to preschool until you can shit in the toilet. There is no excuse for it. The parents need to get on top of it. Of course with the exception always being medical problems and idk what's done in those cases.
ragitty
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Ds is 3 and not actually in pre-school yet. This is the last year they are allowed to be in diapers but he and all his classmates are all fully potty trained now. Unless there are other developmental delays, there is no excuse for a kid not to be potty trained by the time they start pre-school. 

If pre-schools did diapers they would be required, by law, to have a special diaper changing station. It would take too much space and too much time with so many other kids to take care of and other things going on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN