Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

using cutlery?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM
  • 18 Replies
When did your child started using spoons and forks. (Plastic and or metal.)

We have bwen giving ds a spood during meal time for foods like soup. Cottage cheese. Etc. He would rather play with it. Using the handle end to play. We show him how to use it. But has no interest in using it to feed him self. So we usually give him finger food.

How did you get started!?

Ds is 14m. And just started using a sippy cup by himself aswell.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I would give him the fork and spoon.. He will eventually use them! I think my boys were about a year old before they were using them correctly and they still played with them at times!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM

We started giving our daughter one of the toddler spoons or forks at every meal when she was 9 months old.She loved "feeding" herself with them.By 12 months she was a pro at using regualr forks,spoons were still a bit hit and miss at that age.

boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM

DD is 14 months, she's been using a sippy since 11 months (or a little after). she knows how to use a fork and spoon to get the food into her mouth, but she needs a little bit of help getting it on there. the first few times though she just tried to bang them on the table. we kept taking them away until she realized that's not what its for, and i will still do that if she keeps playing. when she's done eating i take her out of her high chair so she's not making a mess just to make a mess

kirstensmommie
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM
I started giving them their own spoons when ever they were able to hold it and get some food on it. So about a year.
Mama_Dolly
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM
My son is no where near using them and he is 14 months
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM

probably around 12-15months.  i don't remember.  it wasn't a big thing, we just did it.

corrinacs
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

We started Leo with a fork not long ago.  A spoon he has a hard time with, but the fork (child's metal one made by gerber) which he can "Fork" things up that way :).

He's 15 months and surprisingly did a good job with it :)

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I started giving him spoons around 7 months and forks around 10 months. He uses a fork really well but struggles with the spoon still. Hes almost 15 months.
mommy02cooper
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I gave my son a spoon around 6mo while I was feeding him with another spoon. and by about a yr he was feeding himself with a spoon and fork but still need help. Each child is different and will do it at their own pace also depend how how many meals you feed him{like does he attend daycare} or if he know you will do it he may not feel the need.

I and a daycare provider and have some kids who eat well here and do not at home because they know parents will do it. I have a 4yr old who can not use silverware because he is never given the chance to at home and is lost when expected to do so here. Kids are smart and can figure out if parents will do things if they do not want to. Just keep giving him a chance to do it himself the more practice the better he will become also practice with his fine motor skill to improve them it will help.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM

my dd is almost 14 months and i've been letting her try using spoons for a month or two now. she does good for a bit then decides she wants to make a mess. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN