Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sippy cups ETA

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM
  • 13 Replies
By what age do you think kids should be only using a sippy cup at night/in the car?
At what age do you think they should be completely off the sippy cup?

EDIT: I meant more like when they should be completely taken away, not started but thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britmichele
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM
It depends on the child.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ragitty
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Depends on the kid

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Off the sippy cup totally?  I'd say whenever they don't require it and have some dexterity to not drop it.  But in all honesty, my 5yo still has a sippy at night time with just water in it.  He sleeps on the top bunk and there's not really a spot to put a cup of water.  He has asthma so his throat gets dry at night so that helps him a lot.

But as far as bottle to sippy.  I know you start to transition at age 1.....START to transition LOL.  You give them a sippy each meal with 1-2 ounces of milk (whatever it is they drink on a normal basis in a bottle).  That way, you don't confuse them and make the transition worse.  Once they drink more than 2 ounces of milk at a time at mealtimes in the sippy cup, you just get rid of the bottles entirely.  The first few days of this could be met with refusal to eat, but for most kids this isn't a problem.  They will get the hang of it and the bottles will be long gone.  You will be so happy to not have to wash another one of those darn things again :)

MrsWhite101610
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM
My dd just turned 3 and loves her sippy cups... I seen a different post though and I started wondering if she's too old except for in cars/at bed. She knows how to drink out of a regular cup but prefers her sippy cups.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsWhite101610
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM
We're way past bottle to sippy. Lol she was completely off her bottle 2 days after she turned 1. She turned 3 last year and I was just wondering if she was getting too old for them...

Quoting corrinacs:

Off the sippy cup totally?  I'd say whenever they don't require it and have some dexterity to not drop it.  But in all honesty, my 5yo still has a sippy at night time with just water in it.  He sleeps on the top bunk and there's not really a spot to put a cup of water.  He has asthma so his throat gets dry at night so that helps him a lot.

But as far as bottle to sippy.  I know you start to transition at age 1.....START to transition LOL.  You give them a sippy each meal with 1-2 ounces of milk (whatever it is they drink on a normal basis in a bottle).  That way, you don't confuse them and make the transition worse.  Once they drink more than 2 ounces of milk at a time at mealtimes in the sippy cup, you just get rid of the bottles entirely.  The first few days of this could be met with refusal to eat, but for most kids this isn't a problem.  They will get the hang of it and the bottles will be long gone.  You will be so happy to not have to wash another one of those darn things again :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM

OH LOL.  I was just trying to read it. I answered both questions wondering hahaha

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

We're way past bottle to sippy. Lol she was completely off her bottle 2 days after she turned 1. She turned 3 last year and I was just wondering if she was getting too old for them...

Quoting corrinacs:

MrsWhite101610
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM
It's okay. My dd loves her cup and I plan on using it for car rides for a while still (she doesn't get a drink after 7 because we're potty training and that's the only thing that works for her), I was just curious if other children still had a sippy at that age and what age it was taken away.

Do you plan on putting a shelf of some sort by your sons bed when you eventually take the sippy cup away? How old do you plan to let him use it? Just curious...

Quoting corrinacs:

OH LOL.  I was just trying to read it. I answered both questions wondering hahaha

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Quoting corrinacs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
camo.roo
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM
My son is almost 3 and I've started just giving him regular cups. No sippy cups. He doesn't go to bed with a cup.. he wasn't feeling good the other day and was laying on the couch and I did give him a sippy cup though.
Gweneveer
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM
On a sippy by 7 mos, off the bottle at a year. I never put cups or bottles in bed with my kids.

I say sippy as long as need be so they don't spill. Neither of my kids were attached to their cups though.
Livv066
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:24 PM
At 2 & 1/2, DD was off sippy cups. I've never given dd a bottle or sippy cup at bed time-not to sleep with. Last call for a drink is 7:30-8:00 pm. Sippy cups are only for long car rides, like 2 &1/2 hr or longer. That's only to guard against spills. When we're running errands, she can have a water bottle. She's 3.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)