Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I got 2 issue I need advice/ideas for.

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM
  • 11 Replies

First off, I am 23 wks pregnant. And since i found out i was pregnant, my 2yr old has been super clingy.. To the point where I can't clean,cook, or take 5 steps away with out her throwing a fit. When I leave the house to grocery shop or go to my mom's she is perfectly fine. Any ideas?

About a week ago, she has been refusing to take her naps in her crib,(the crib will be going away once we purchase her bed).. She here's it is nap time and she wants to go into the car.. It drive me nuts cause when she does pass out she passes out on me, and no way can I put her in her crib.. She wakes up, and wants out.. letting her cry it out does not work.. She's a fighter.. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I think the clinginess is a phase and may/may not have anything to do wiht your pregnancy.

Nap, my 23 month old has been napping on the couch...I can generally turn on a movie and in 10-15 minutes she'll fall asleep....I just leave her there and go about my business with the 3.5 year old laying/resting on the couch either watching the movie or flipping through a book.

MissyMegs
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Quoting emkirkley:

I think the clinginess is a phase and may/may not have anything to do wiht your pregnancy.

Nap, my 23 month old has been napping on the couch...I can generally turn on a movie and in 10-15 minutes she'll fall asleep....I just leave her there and go about my business with the 3.5 year old laying/resting on the couch either watching the movie or flipping through a book.

I wish I can do that with my 2yr old.. I've tried anything I think of to get her to sleep with out my aide. lol.

hockeymom94
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM

My daughter got really clingy when I was pregnant. She still goes through it now and then. Sometimes, to make her feel special, I put a movie on and let her jump/play/nap in mommy's bed. It seems to help. 

ardiaxe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM

My son was 2 when I got pregnant with my daughter,  my son was very clingy.  I started a routine of rocking him in a rocking chair before naps and bed.  I would sing to him, read him books and just cuddled him.  A 2 year old is still very much a baby in so many ways and still needs a lot of comfort.

littlelessa
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Do you have a very consistent bedtime routine at night?  You could start doing the same thing at nap time.  It always helps to be extremely consistent.  The clingy ness is hard.  I used to crawl into bed next to my little guy but he wasn't in a crib anymore because I was also pregnant and couldn't lift him over the side anymore.  When he fell alsleep I would slowly slide out. Super hard to do with a giant belly.  As time passed I moved farther and farther away as he fell asleep.  I could tell you more if you find any of this helpful.

littlelessa
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM

As for the clingy part, I would suggest trying to give her your undivided attention whenever you can and ignore all fits as best you can.  Check out the book 1,2,3 Magic for discipline ideas.

Gweneveer
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I say ditch the crib early and make a HUGE deal out of a big girl bed.  

There isnt much you can do for the clingy part.  Just keep her involved in everything, keep talking about the baby, and make time for her.  

MissyMegs
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

She goes to bed fine and the bedtime is the same as nap time.. If daddy is around then we go give him kisses.. Get her cup with juice/milk or whatever she wants.. I give her kisses and she passes out..

As for giving her attention, I give her my full attention, involve her in things i can.. such as picking the house up, and such..

So once i can get the hubby to approve to get the beds (waiting on taxes I think) then Ill be able to lay her down and so forth.. I give her my cell phone cause i have a kids lock app that she can play games on and watch movies and thats all she can do.. 

I think she misses her big sister cause when big sister does get home, she does sometimes goes to play with her until she pisses her off then it's back at me. lol. She is a smart cookie, i get her into an activity and move away but once she realizes im not there she freaks out.

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I think the clinginess is a phase and doesn't really have anything to do with your pregnancy. At least not yet.  Sorry momma, you are just going to have to start being a be a bit firm. Find activiities that she can do on her own and set her up with them. Walk away.  It may take some time for her to get used to it. When I have to cook, I put a show on for them. Better to get her used to these changes now, you will not have time when the baby comes.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM

i agree with this. good luck!

Quoting Gweneveer:

I say ditch the crib early and make a HUGE deal out of a big girl bed.  

There isnt much you can do for the clingy part.  Just keep her involved in everything, keep talking about the baby, and make time for her.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)