Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Rear facing car seat

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:51 AM
  • 63 Replies
How long did you keep your baby in his/her rear facing car seat?

My son is 17 months old, weighs 21lbs, and is still in the same car seat as when he was a new born. The max weight is 35lbs.. And I read that its best to keep them rear facing as long as possible. Everyone is getting on my case about switching him out because he is too big.
If he's too big then why does he still for comfortably and under the max weight!?
I just don't understand this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissMia22
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM

My sister used to tell me the same thing, my son rf'd until he maxed out the weight on his seat...at 40 pounds....he was just shy of three years old...he is now 4 and about 41 pounds and he STILL asks to sit backwards like his sister does!

shadow_lark
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM
I ff, at a year. But I think people say he's too big because may be he lookes squished or uncomfortable? Idk. If you wish to keep rf, then do. It is the current recommendation to rf until at least 2 years.
ATL958
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM
We switched our daughter to forward facing at ~16 months. She was only a couple of pounds from being at the max in her infant seat, and her legs were so long that it was incredibly uncomfortable for her to be in the seat rear facing.

We also don't go very many places. I'm a WAHM, and an entire week can go by with us not having left the house. So that, and making sure I was careful with driving, I felt comfortable putting her forward facing.

We put her seat in the center, just in case we were hit in the side she'd have more protection.
xredstarsx
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Does he have at least an inch of hard plastic over his head? That is just as important as his weight. If not it is outgrown but should still be rear facing in a convertible seat. Which would be more roomy and comfortable.

Quoting Ajsmommy912:

How long did you keep your baby in his/her rear facing car seat?

My son is 17 months old, weighs 21lbs, and is still in the same car seat as when he was a new born. The max weight is 35lbs.. And I read that its best to keep them rear facing as long as possible. Everyone is getting on my case about switching him out because he is too big.

If he's too big then why does he still for comfortably and under the max weight!?

I just don't understand this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:11 AM

I did not turn my DD until 2 yrs 3 months.  She had outgrown her My Ride by having less than an inch of shell over her head.  ( She is wicked tall) If your child is still in the infant seat ( or any rf seat for that matter) weight is not the only consideration.  If the child has less than an inch of shell over its head the seat is too small.  Next step would be a convertible and i would buy the tallest shell i could find and RF until the child no longer fit.  every supposed step up on seat is a step down in safety and the AAP and Childrens Hospitals and AAA and IIHS just to name a few all recommend leaving a child RF to the max of their seat for a MINIMUM of 2 years.  

Duquesne
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Ensure your loved one is still below the max height for the seat as well. My 22 month old is rear facing.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:30 AM

my kids were in an infant seat rf'ing until about 9 months and then moved to a convertible rf'ing.  we moved both kids ff'ing a little after a year for various reasons but it's definitely not recommended.

parent your child and brush the comments off.  if he is still safely fitting his seat, leave it alone.

TTC2Long
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this
My 2 year, 8 month old ds is rf and will until he's 4 or maxes out his seats' rf weight limit, which won't happen before 4. Kids are 5x safer rf. The most common rf injuries in a crash are minor cuts and bruises from flying debris. In ff kids, the most common injuries are spinal cord injuries, head trauma and broken legs. I'll keep 'em rf, thanks.
MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:06 AM
DS2 turned around just before he turned three.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennygurl09
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Yeah you are supposed to do it until around 3. Just tell them to worry about their own kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN