Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Chores and rewards (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM
  • 3 Replies

I have a 4 yo and would like to implement a chore chart with her. We did it once before last year but it was also her potty chart and once potty training was done we really slacked on the chore part until it was just completely ignored. She turned 4 a couple weeks ago and I would like to re-implement the chore chart. I've put on her chart 1) Get dressed/brush teeth/brush hair, 2) Make bed, 3) Take dishes to sink, 4) Pick up toys, 5) Put on jammies/brush teeth. I also need to come up with a reward system. I was thinking maybe having her earn x amount of time on the iPad for each day after she has completed a day of chores (so if she completes all chores on Tuesday, she'll get x amount of time Wednesday) and then at the end of the week have her pick a special activity or treat for a successful week (such as going out for ice cream, bake a special treat, go to the bounce house, etc...). I need some more ideas though so that's why I'm coming to you ladies. :) What are some rewards you offer your preschooler? Are there any additional chores they do/did at 4? I'm also going to implement a "ransom box" for any toys she does not pick up and will need to put additional chores with that for her to do in order to earn her toys back. Also as a side note, I do not want to do an allowance with her just yet. I want to wait until she's a bit older and we can use that as a tool to teach money management (maybe in a year or two will offer an allowance but for now I want to stick with activities/treats). TIA!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM

My son is 2 1/2 and is just expected to do those things now. But I realize every kid is different. Thinking back to my behavior modification days as a special Ed teacher, I'm not sure if I would do both the daily and weekly reward. I'd probably do the daily reward and then fade to a weekly reward  

Personally, I'm not a fan of paying for chores. There are just certain things you do because you are part of this family. Again, everyone is different. 

Some other chores she could do is put away laundry, help make the bed, gather the laundry and bring it to the laundry room, set the table (or some variation), take things to the recycling bin. If you have pets, she can pick up their toys and help feed them. These are all things my son can do. Good luck

emarin77
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I would ask her what her postitive reinforcement is.  My son's (who's 4) chose McDonald's as his PR.  He enjoys playing at its play park.  We go once a week on Saturdays if he completes at least 65 of 82 chores.  On his list of of chores he also receives a sticker for each one.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM
We don't do chores but I like what you have. My son is 6 but has always taken our garages out and vacuumed. He loves those things. We actually take them away as punishment ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)