Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Potty training nightmare

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM
  • 11 Replies
My son is 3 I have been trying hard with the potty training. I tried sitting him on the potty every hr or so sometimes he goes sometimes he won't. He won't tell me when he has to go either solo I thought I'd go 2 the store to get some rubber training pants to go over top if under wear couldn't find them anywhere soo I put him in his undies and tried taking him to the potty more often. That didn't work either. Anything else I can try? I feel like such a failure when I hear about kids younger than him who are pt
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

don't compare him to any other child.  training is 100% individual.

my son was 3 1/2 when he trained.  your son probably just isn't quite ready yet.  he won't get his diploma in a diaper so try not to get worked up over pee and poop.

try bare bottom and prepare to clean up lots of accidents.  you have to give him a full week in underwear or naked.  my dd had 4 full days of accidents before anything made it in the potty but once she did, she took over and was trained in 3 weeks (she was 2 years 9 months when she trained).

StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

If he can't tell you when he has to go, he probably isn't ready yet. There's no set age on when they are ready. If he is not able to feel when he has to go, you can't expect him to be able to tell you yet.

Be patient. It will happen when it happens.

Mommy1022526
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM

He sounds as if he isn't ready yet. Try again later when he can understand the potty.

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Don't beat yourself up. My dd was 4 when she was potty trained. Just keep asking him if he has to go periodically  and if he has an accident , still bring him to the potty and make him go through all the motions; flush, wash hands, dry hands... It will eventually click.

Snapdragon88
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I was going to suggest taking the diapers away completely... but if you don't have hardwood floors like I do that might be a bigger headache, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Naked time? Increase it slowly - 5-10 min for a few days at each diaper change at home, then being him to potty, then increase to 15 min, then 30, then an hour....

Have you done a reward system?

Look up cloth diaper covers if you want a good cover for him to wear over undies - sometimes local cloth diaper stores will have PUL only covers for $6-$8
Jennygurl09
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Naked time? Increase it slowly - 5-10 min for a few days at each diaper change at home, then being him to potty, then increase to 15 min, then 30, then an hour....

Have you done a reward system?

Look up cloth diaper covers if you want a good cover for him to wear over undies - sometimes local cloth diaper stores will have PUL only covers for $6-$8

Naked time is what we do, and it's working well so for.

Jennygurl09
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Quoting Snapdragon88:

I was going to suggest taking the diapers away completely... but if you don't have hardwood floors like I do that might be a bigger headache, lol.

We have carpets and are doing the bare naked method. So far we haven't had much in the way off accidents. However my friend who has hardwood floors has had a ton. And her daughter likes to poop, and piss on furniture so the wood floors don't seem to add any benefit lol.

angelsweet1111
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:09 AM

I think you are not the only one.My son will turn four in a month we tried putting him his underwear and making him sit in toilet for 30 minutes each day  sometimes twice in a day but it does not work. We tell him if he needs to go potty he needs to go to toilet.We even asked him.Sometimes he would reply "NO' which means YES.

Leigh84
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys it's comforting to know I'm not the only 1 goin thru this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)