Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Emergencies

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM
  • 14 Replies
What age did you start explaining how to deal with emergencies. Someone gave me a book for children on how to dial 911. I am afraid if I tell ds too young he might not understand and I don't want him dialing it when it's not an emergency.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lorelai_Nicole
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM
As soon as they were old enough to talk on the phone and understand an emergency. Usually it was around 3ish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was about 5.  We started with learning my cell number and then 911.  I was VERY clear about when he can call.  I give him tons of examples:  "do we call 911 to say 'hi'?"  "no"  "do we call because our crayon broke?" "no" "do we call because Mommy asks you too?"  "yes"  "do we call if Mommy has fallen down and can't talk to you?"  "yes"  other times I'll say "when do we call 911?"  and he'll respond "when you ask me too or if you can't talk to me."

we talk about this periodically to keep it fresh in his mind.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM
My son is 5 and I haven't yet. I need to get on that.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I did it around age 4. It depends on the child's maturity. You know your child best.

aidyns_mommy
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I did it around age 4. It depends on the child's maturity. You know your child best.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
holmes212
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM
We havent necessarily talked about 911 but we have taught him his adress and my cell phone number. He is 4 will be 5 in sept.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sadiebug1228
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 4 and already had to call 911 and I have a piece of paper on the fridge with everyone's numbers on it and he knows all his numbers and how to dial them on the phone. But when he called 911 I fell outside in a hole and landed on the stairs and I couldn't breath (I went outside to throw out some old food we live in the country) and I asked him to call 911 cause I couldn't move or breath. I broke 4 ribs and badly sprained my ankle and knee. He also knows not to call unless someone tells him to or if mommy won't wake up. He also knows how to carry his little sister under his bed to hide from "bad guys" if I tell him to go to our secret spot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM

My husband is a police officer and I have the fear my son will call 911 and say, "Can I talk to daddy" LOL.

Anliena
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM
We just started having that talk with my 4 year old. He doesn't know how to dail my phone though so I guess its pointless informational until then. Thanks for making me think about this more.

We're been working on address a lot incase he gets lost.
oneluckymom0709
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

oh man, I'm slacking. I need to get on this too! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN