Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back talking toddler (2 1/2). Normal??

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM
  • 16 Replies
Wow. Within the past few days my toddler is very defiant. For instance-If I say something like 'please sit on the chair'. He will yell 'no, mommy...you sit on the chair'. Or if I say something in regards to a time out-he will yell back...no you go to time out. It's this type of new behavior. I assume it's normal. We normally do 1,2,3 Magic (which is NOT magic!!) and no counting-straight to timeout, for hitting/physical harm to his 8 month old brother (which is not as bad anymore).

Thoughts? Advice?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like he wants control of the situation. Do you give him choices, like do you want to sit on this chair or that one? Or 'clean up by yourself or with mommy's help?'

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Bump!

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:04 PM

My 2 1/2 year old tries that too. He loves to tell me YOU DO IT MOMMY! (usually putting something together or cleaning up something). I remind him that he's not saying things nicely and until he can use his kind words and a nice voice, I won't be doing anything. Most of the time it works, other times he tantrums, but i won't respond to such nastiness.

prettygirl326
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:06 PM
No i am just praying that my kid can talk as well as yours one day
tyfry7496
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Yes, it's normal. I invite you to my preschool class any day. I usually ignore it until the child talks nicely or TEACH the child how to act appropriately.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
froggynow3
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Anna does the same thing. It is usually 'no mommy' or 'you do it' but we manage to get her to do it. I ask her if she wants to go to time out or do what i asked her

BlessedBeX3
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:53 AM

he's testing your limits. my girls didn't talk that well when they were 2 1/2 but they would say NO! He is just trying to determine how far he can go. Keep your ground, and if you have to say it more than 2-3 times, put him in time out and explain to him why he cannot talk to you like that.

I use a  high chair for timeout, they cannot get out of it and cant move it so that works for me. I dont like the corner or special spot time outs bc they can just run out of it lol

It will be tedius and consistant but its just something that has to be done. you may have to put him in time out 6x a day, but it will work.

BlessedBeX3
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM

also, my 4 year old is really really defiant. During meal times, she'll push on the table to tilt her chair back, or she wont eat over the plate, getting food all over her clothes or the floor, wipe her hands on her clothes, chair, table I had to take her out of her chair 3 times last night untill she got it. She was pissed. yelling at me but i held my ground and told her that she wasn't going to eat untill she ate like a big girl and sat like a lady. Finally dh put her back in her chair and she ate all her food they way we ask her too.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

She probably learned about it from somewhere.  My son actually didn't do this behavior utnil Kindergartten.  I presume its because he witnessed it from his peers.  Its ANNOYing to say the least!

With Caden, when he does that I do the "face pluck".  Its a physical thing, but it doesn't hurt him.  But sure does it get his attention. 

Oh, and whatever he wants in in the converstion, he doesn't get.  We just leave him and let him know we don't talk to people that act like that.

its a slow process.........but hopefully we will get this behavior out of the way too!

Newstart1012
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:27 AM

My 3 year old is acting this way. I have realized most of his problem is because he is watched by my mother who allows certain behavior to go without correction. He is very defiant and bull headed. His language is much worse in the regards of the things he knows how to shout back at me. "Leave me alone!" "Go away!" "I said no!"

Hang in there momma. Just keep reasserting youself and let them know its not acceptable behavior. It's tough but has to be done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)