Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Chipped tooth / sensory

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM
  • 8 Replies

So my 2 and a half year old chipped his tooth. It's not turning grey thank goodness. But he has sensory issues with his mouth and just on a normal day getting him to try new textures let alone messing with his mouth. ugh

anyone have this happen? 

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mariesmama
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM

um my child has sensory issues and is missing her front 2 teeth due to a stroller accident before she was 1 she wont try new textures either and i talked her school into talking to the occupational therapist about it she gets sick and wont eat or drink stuff that could help

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM

my son fell at 2 and messed up a tooth.  he was running with his hands in his pockets so when he fell, he couldn't catch himself and went face first into the kitchen floor.  one of his front teeth got pushed back and i was sure it was going to fall out.  after a couple days the tooth went back to position.  he did have some trouble eating that first day but he slowly got more comfortable. 

my dd chipped a tooth sometime around a year old but not enough to hurt her.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM

No sorry.  Maybe his tooth is just sensitive to things, like maybe a nerve is exposed??

corrinacs
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM

You may want to speak to a dentist first to see if perhaps the chip could have made his tooth sensitive. It may not turn grey, but it could be hurting him whne he eats on it!  They may have not pull it, but they can tell you your options.

But, he could also have sensory disorders in his mouth.  Have you noticed any types of food (like categories.....like cold foods, pastas, etc) that he's totally avoiding?  Does he chimpmunk his food?  Does he choke/gag/throw up his food?  If so, then you may also want to talk to your pediatrician about being referred to a OT or ST (occupational therapist or speech therapist).  

My baby is going through that now (15 months).  He's only eating purees and disentigratable solids (like puffs, crackelbread, etc).  Anything else he either chipmunks/gags on or he outright refuses.  He gets most of his calories from soy toddler formula (I forgot to mention he has  a TON of food allergies, too including milk).  They let me try foods with him slowly and he's still having trouble now.  His peers are eating people food just fine.  So, he just had his first evaluation from the county speech therapist this past week.  He will have an assessmenet next month to figure out the game plan to get him up to speed with his feeding.

Good luck!

extremelibrary
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I would take your child to a dentist to make sure there isn't any infection. My toddler chipped her tooth while tripping(she was delayed in walking and was loosing her balance alot) and the peditric dentist check it out and had her come back later a few weeks later to check her out again.  He said it was a good thing she was brought in. He said just because children have a chipped tooth doesn't mean they can't have an infrection in the mouth.

jesusgirl76
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM
My 2 year old chipped her tooth also. She is seeing a speech therapist and we were told she has sensory issues. Its all still confusing to me, sorry I can't help. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

well, my 3yo DS doesn't have any sensory issues or anything... but just last week he had an accident in the gym in preschool and knocked his front tooth out. So he's going to have a gap for the next couple years til his adult tooth comes in. He looks like a little hillbilly... sigh.... doesn't bother him at all though. Although now he can't eat apples without me cutting them up, or corn on the cob this summer...

Jewelryforless
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:20 AM

We are taking him to the dentist today. Iwe actually had 2 OT therapist working with him the past several months and when we started he didn't have more than 3 words and now he's just a different kid never stops chatting. But the foods and textures we still have to work everyday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN