Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

BAD SKIN HELP-Doryx??

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM
  • 7 Replies

Has anyone ever taken Doryx (an antibiotic) for acne?  My son has been on it for 2 weeks and I swear his skin looks 100 times worse.  I wasn't happy about trying it anyway, but he begged me (he's 13 and his skin has gotten bad over the last year).  We've tried 7 other things from the dermatologist (that cost me a small fortune) and nothing worked.  Any suggestions?  THANKS!

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
corrinacs
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

No, mama :/.  What all have you tried for acne solutions?  Have you tried Proactiv?  How about Clinique?  I would go that route before taking meds to fix it.

rebeccab1966
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Quoting corrinacs:

No, mama :/.  What all have you tried for acne solutions?  Have you tried Proactiv?  How about Clinique?  I would go that route before taking meds to fix it.

Tried all that, plus 6 scripts for various creams and solutions.  He's getting so discouraged, and I hate the idea of him being on an antibiotic for it.  Puberty is NOT fun!

lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Just normal antibiotics usually clear mine up when I'm sick. Proactive kind of helped me but dried me out so bad it hurt. I like just regular face wash pads and soft scrub soap in the shower. I have extreamly oily skin no matter what I do so even as an adult I have teenage skin :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccab1966
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Quoting lilmama8408:

Just normal antibiotics usually clear mine up when I'm sick. Proactive kind of helped me but dried me out so bad it hurt. I like just regular face wash pads and soft scrub soap in the shower. I have extreamly oily skin no matter what I do so even as an adult I have teenage skin :/

Thanks!  We've tried all that, he is a dirtbike rider and it gets so much worse after he rides.  I have to say, he always takes his antibiotic, washes his face twice a day, uses the meds the dermatologist gave him.  He's getting frustrated.  I never had acne, and I see how it affects him.  I just feel so badly for him, he's such an amazing kid!

lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Sadly its apart of growing up for most. Maybe get a second opinion? My cousin had such bad acne all he had to do was move against something and they'd pop they were all over his body :/ he took an antibiotic for a couple months and then a strict skin program but I forget what it was. I know junk food (pop, chips, cookies, fried food, ect) fast food and even quick meals like pizza rolls ect can make it way way worse.

Quoting rebeccab1966:

Quoting lilmama8408:

Thanks!  We've tried all that, he is a dirtbike rider and it gets so much worse after he rides.  I have to say, he always takes his antibiotic, washes his face twice a day, uses the meds the dermatologist gave him.  He's getting frustrated.  I never had acne, and I see how it affects him.  I just feel so badly for him, he's such an amazing kid!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoldenLinds
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Ok. Here's my take on it. First, try mary kay. I have always had awful acne in my cleavage from being a dancer. Tried everything. Mary kay finally worked. The other thing. Don't wash so much. It dries the skin out, then the skin tries to compensate for the deyness by producing too much oil and you get acne. Make sure he's using a moisturizer! !! Look into dietary causes. No caffeine. Healthy oils. Get a good dose of soy and take a probiotic. I promise you'll see results!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Oh poor thing.  My younger sister is like that too :(.  She's tried everything under the sun!  Her pregnancy/baby didn't make that much better either :/.

I hope you find a solution!

Quoting rebeccab1966:

Quoting corrinacs:

Tried all that, plus 6 scripts for various creams and solutions.  He's getting so discouraged, and I hate the idea of him being on an antibiotic for it.  Puberty is NOT fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN