Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Chicken pox AND hand-foot-mouth disease?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hi my name is Rebekah and I'm new here. I have a 4.5 year old in preschool and an 8 months old at home with me, both daughters.

Here's my problem. Oldest DD has been indirectly exposed to chicken pox and directly exposed to hand foot and mouth disease in the last 7 days. I know chicken pox has a 14 day incubation period, but I have no experience with H/F/M disease. 

Would it be possible for her to have BOTH of these at once? What is the incubation period for H/F/M disease and what will be the first symptoms? Since she was directly in contact with the child I'm more worried about that.

Are either of the dangerous to my 8 month old?

Can some one clue me in to the symptoms/treatments/dangers of having one or both of these in any child?

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopeym23
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

No idea...here is a bump.  I'd google it.  Good luck!

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

DD caught H/F/M when she was just under 2. It showed symptoms within a day or two. She had a mild case that consisted of vomitting once, a slight fever for about a day, a few spots around her legs (mostly on her knees), and a couple of spots on her face. DH caught a worse case of H/F/M from DD by sharing a drink with her, went to the doctor, and was told there wasn't anything to do for it other than let it run its course. (Aloe gel used for sunburns helped with some of the discomfort.)

To keep your 8 month old from getting H/F/M, you may want to try to keep anything your older daughter would put in her mouth away from the younger one. Frequent handwashing also goes a long way toward not spreading H/F/M. H/F/M seems to be more of a pain than something that will be too dangerous, but having fingernails or toenails fall off can be a side effect.

Have your daughters been given the chicken pox vaccine? This may help both of them from getting chicken pox.

KanPsMommy
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Both are UTD on shots. I gave them a bath together last night and only discovered this morning she had been exposed to H/F/M disease.

Quoting mrsniebo:

DD caught H/F/M when she was just under 2. It showed symptoms within a day or two. She had a mild case that consisted of vomitting once, a slight fever for about a day, a few spots around her legs (mostly on her knees), and a couple of spots on her face. DH caught a worse case of H/F/M from DD by sharing a drink with her, went to the doctor, and was told there wasn't anything to do for it other than let it run its course. (Aloe gel used for sunburns helped with some of the discomfort.)

To keep your 8 month old from getting H/F/M, you may want to try to keep anything your older daughter would put in her mouth away from the younger one. Frequent handwashing also goes a long way toward not spreading H/F/M. H/F/M seems to be more of a pain than something that will be too dangerous, but having fingernails or toenails fall off can be a side effect.

Have your daughters been given the chicken pox vaccine? This may help both of them from getting chicken pox.

robibuni
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

My DDs (nearly 4 and 12 months) have never been exposed to chicken pox, but since you said your ODD is up to date on shots, she shouldn't get it (or if she does, it would be a VERY mild case). Your YDD could get it, but just keep an eye out for any random spots (they like to start on the back or trunk).

My ODD was exposed to HFM last year (when YDD wasn't even 2 months). My biggest fear for my YDD with HFM was the fever...sometimes it can cause a high fever, and at the time, she was just too young to take anything for a high fever. Symptoms overall include fever, vomiting, spots on hands and/or feet, around mouth, diaper area, and in the throat. The ones in the throat can be painful which would cause them to not want to eat or drink anything! Also, my ODD's fingernails began to flake off and grow back (also a possible symptom but until the very end, and not too common).

With HFM, it just has to run its course unfortunately. Just make them as comfortable as possible until its over.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM

HFM disease typically has a much shoter incubation period.  And yes, its possible for him to have both at the same time :(.

And yes, both can be dangerous to your 8 month old or even your older one.

Does either of your child have asthma that requires daily nebulizing treatments?  Does either of your child have severe excema?  If so, you may want to let your doctors know about the exposure to chicken pox.  In either of these cases, chicken pox can be deadly....at least a hell of a lot more worry than the "common annoyance".

HFM disease will present first with a high fever, usually with no other symptoms.  Then, it moves to a blister-like rash on you guessed it....hand,foot and mouth.  For your older child, just an annoyance really.  But for the baby, it can really cause feeding problems (especially with the mouth sores).  I don't know of any special situations regarding HFM disease.

KanPsMommy
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM

ODD has asthma and eczema really bad actually. :/

Quoting corrinacs:

HFM disease typically has a much shoter incubation period.  And yes, its possible for him to have both at the same time :(.

Does either of your child have asthma that requires daily nebulizing treatments?  Does either of your child have severe excema?  If so, you may want to let your doctors know about the exposure to chicken pox.  In either of these cases, chicken pox can be deadly....at least a hell of a lot more worry than the "common annoyance".

HFM disease will present first with a high fever, usually with no other symptoms.  Then, it moves to a blister-like rash on you guessed it....hand,foot and mouth.  For your older child, just an annoyance really.  But for the baby, it can really cause feeding problems (especially with the mouth sores).  I don't know of any special situations regarding HFM disease.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Never had hfm but my son had chicken pic a couple years ago. I had chicken pic when i was under 1
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

No chicken pox, but DS had HFM at 15 months. It looked like tiny little blisters. He had them on his hands, feet, legs, buttocks, inside of mouth. From what I remember, they itch. I gave him a tiny bit of Benadryl until we got to doc. You'll want to avoid spicey food so not to hurt her mouth if she gets in the mouth. The CDC most likely has info on their website. I remember our pedi giving us a CDC info sheet.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I would definitely mention the situation to your doctor just in case. 

Good luck!

Quoting KanPsMommy:

ODD has asthma and eczema really bad actually. :/

Quoting corrinacs:

Phillymama123
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Dd had hfm this summer. She was 4. Her symptoms started as pain when eating
Then spots in.the mouth. Then spots on legs and hands. Dr said just keep her hydrated
And she recommended milk shakes to cool her mouth. One of the few times a ped recommends ice cream.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)