Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do you let your toddler play on expensive electronics???

Posted by   + Show Post

I recently bought a couple apps (team umizoomi, and Dora) both educational, for my 3 year old to play on my kindle fire. Our rule is that he cant play with it unless Mommy or Daddy sits with him, and he is usually very good with it. A few days ago he was playing on it, i guess he won a game and got excited and threw my kindle up in the air saying "whooo hoo"! I watched in slow motion as my Kindle hit the wall, and fell behind the couch to the tiled floor! Of course it broke, the screen is black! My mother says, " I don't understand why you let a toddler play with expensive stuff like that ". She says that I should not be upset because I allowed him to use it knowing something like that would happen! Actually, No I did not expect something like that to happen! That's why we created the rule above! I don't let him navigate around on the computer, or use my phone, I just figured if those games were available surely they were meant for a toddler to use!!! Do you think my Mother was right? Do you let your kids play games on expensive electronics?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
.Angelica.
by Angie on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

i let my son play on my phone and laptop.

laughnchica
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM

We very rarely let our 3 year old play on our iPad or phone. We want her to learn to not be dependent on technology. Like her older brother and sister hate playing outside, playing with toys etc etc because their mom just lets them play xbox or on her computer or ipad whenever they aren't at school. I refuse to let that happen to her. I want her to be active and we work on educational books instead of apps.

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I do .  You didn't bother with the insurance?  Call Kindle support they have been known to replace them for free or greatly reduced price even when its your fault and no insurance.

Maks1mommy
by Brittiany on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I let my 2 yo have my phone all the time. She's really good with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maks1mommy
by Brittiany on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Btw your mom is right, If my dd broke my phone, I'd be upset, but not shocked. She's two after all.
BrittVan
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM

We don't allow our kids to play with any of our electronics except the tv remote and the dvd player. Not even our Wii, we bought them a Super Nintendo and they love it.

VAGal25
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM
We bought otter boxes for our iPhones and have one for our iPad. We let our 2 year old play with both since the cases make them sturdy. We are right there with her though.

Funny side note. We bought the otter box for the iPad to protect it from the 2 year old but I'm the one that spilled an entire cup of water on it. Thank goodness we had that cover, it was fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cutestmom24
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I some let me dd play wih my phone i have a couple of toddler friendly apps on my phone thay she likes.
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I have a Kindle Fire and we have an armor on it!!!  For above mentioned reason.  :)  Our daughter is 4yr and loves it.  I have a kid locked app (called Kid Mode).  You can add apps to it and they can't get out of it and distroy the kindle or get on the internet and such.  It also comes with games/art/music/movies/etc.  When you get your kindle replaced you need to get a protector on it.  Whether its an otter box or an armor.  My daughter has dropped ours and its fine.  :D

Hubby surprised me with the HD version and she's NOT allowed on it.  Hubby and her share the regular one now and the HD one is all MINE!  :)  We love our kindles!!!!!

xoxRachelxox
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

My 5 year old has a Kindle Fire that his 3 year old brother uses. We bought a sturdy case for it. They also play on our cell phones. We haven't had any issues with them not handling them nicely. If they did, I would consider it my fault for letting them use them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)