Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things to help

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 6 Replies

Is there anything that I can give my 18 month old son to help him sleep at night. He will not sleep for more than 3 hours and then he wakes up screaming bloody murder and then he is so tired the next day. I have tried everything that I can think of to help him. any suggeastion is welcome.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
CLEKate
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

No, you cannot drug your child to make him sleep longer.  Really, at his age he needs to learn to sleep through the night on his own--drugging him isn't the answer.

What do you do when he wakes up screaming?

At 18 months, both of my boys were still in cribs.  So when they woke up at night, I would go in once to check to make sure they were ok (not stuck or anything) then I would tell them to go back to bed.  I would walk out and go back to bed.  I ignored the behavior and they did eventually learn to go back to sleep.  It only took a few nights before they realized that I was not getting them out and they were on their own.

They are now 3 & 4 and rarely ever bug me in the middle of the night.

mommys2babies
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I don't want to drug my son. When he wakes up screaming I go into his room offer him a drink, lay him back down, rub his back for a few minutes and then leave but as soon as I leave his room he starts to scream again. He sleeps in a twin bed

Quoting CLEKate:

No, you cannot drug your child to make him sleep longer.  Really, at his age he needs to learn to sleep through the night on his own--drugging him isn't the answer.

What do you do when he wakes up screaming?

At 18 months, both of my boys were still in cribs.  So when they woke up at night, I would go in once to check to make sure they were ok (not stuck or anything) then I would tell them to go back to bed.  I would walk out and go back to bed.  I ignored the behavior and they did eventually learn to go back to sleep.  It only took a few nights before they realized that I was not getting them out and they were on their own.

They are now 3 & 4 and rarely ever bug me in the middle of the night.

mommyofnoah208
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you will just have to keep trying and let him soothe himself or fuss it out and then check on him. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I have no idea, sorry.  Here is a bump.

corrinacs
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Talk to him about what it could be.  My older son is scared of the dark and cannot stand quietness.  The ringing in his ears gets to him.

So, I know I will get a ton of flack, but I have a TV in his room at night on Sprout (or something of the like) and that fixed the problem.

But your son may be different.  Try to talk to him about why he starts screaming and figure out what's bothering him.  Some otehr tips:

Monster blaster (an empty water squirt bottle)

Flash Light

Night Light Turtle: http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Twilight-Constellation-Night-Turtle/dp/B000BNQC58

Music.  This is my fave CD: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Baby-Wellness-Crying/dp/B000E9T6OS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1362857510&sr=8-5&keywords=baby+cry+no+more

Good luck!  I know you are more than ready for some sleep

Also, my younger son has feeding issues and he still wakes up at night really hungry :/.  We still have to feed him bottles in the middle of the night.  He also has reflux like issues (reflux meds don't help though) but we let him fall asleep sitting upwards in a swing before laying him down.  This prevents his throat from getting sore.

Good clukc!

cheriem86
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM
You might try a white noise machine or fan. Many children have a hard time sleeping in complete silence.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)