• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: How do I get my toddler to quit arching his...

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

How do I get my toddler to quit arching his back so we can't stand up and throwing himself on the floor and throwing a screaming fit that lasts anywhere from 10 minutes to over an hour long.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CLEKate
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM

If he is arching his back, don't pick him up.  Leave him where he is at and walk away.  Or just scoop up at shoulders and legs so can't arch out of it.

As for tantrums--IGNORE them.  Walk away from him when he goes into the fit. When he calms down, you can pretend it never happened or else remind him that you will not listen to him during a tantrum.

emarin77
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I agree.

Quoting CLEKate:

If he is arching his back, don't pick him up.  Leave him where he is at and walk away.  Or just scoop up at shoulders and legs so can't arch out of it.

As for tantrums--IGNORE them.  Walk away from him when he goes into the fit. When he calms down, you can pretend it never happened or else remind him that you will not listen to him during a tantrum.

mommys2babies
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM
He arches when we go to put him down. Already ignore the tempers but don't seem to be doing any good

Quoting CLEKate:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Ok.  So dump him onto the couch or a bed.  Or else right onto the floor.  Not enough to hurt him, just enough to jolt him a bit--make him realize that you mean business.  Then walk away.

It takes time for a real stubborn child to get the drift on the tantrums.

If it really annoys you, you can try removing him to his room.  Let him know that he cannot leave the room until his tantrum is done.  If you have to, stand outside his door and keep him in there until he has settled completely down.  Reiterate to him over and over that he cannot leave his room until he has calmed down.  We had to do this more with my younger son when the tantrum became too annoying to bear.

megandwade
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM

My son is 2 and does this also.. We let him lay on the floor, and ignore it!

brittany208
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

When my DS starts to throw a fit--I send his little booty straight to time out and tell him he can come out when he's calm and ready to listen. The first couple times it took awhile. Then he realized how it worked, and now he only sits about 30 seconds before he visibly calms down and says "I'm not crying ANYMORE!" usually while he's still whimpering lol. He knows very well why he is there and what it takes to come out. Of course he's 3.5.... but I think it could work with a 2yo as well.

mommyofnoah208
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I agree with some of the other suggestions. If he is arching his back in a tantrum I would leave him be and tell him that everything is ok and you will talk when he is ready. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)