Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Separation Anxiety

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 8 Replies

Any tips for helping my 14 month DD with her separation anxiety?

I'm a SAHM, and DH and I recently joined the YMCA. We'd love to be able to leave DD in the daycare there once or twice a week while we go workout, but she FREAKS OUT when we do! We've left her 3 or 4 times for short periods of time and she cries on and off the whole time. I know it's a double whammy - a strange PLACE, and strange PEOPLE taking care of her. Will she eventually get used to this? I hate to traumatize my poor baby...but I think she should get used to being away from mommy and daddy every now and then.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mommyofnoah208
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I think she will probably get used to it, although since it is occassional it may take awhile. As she get a little older it will get easier and easier. Good luck and hope she starts to enjoy it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Maybe start with leaving her, at your house, for maybe 15 minutes with grandma or someone she knows. Then come back and be all smiles and hugs, Then make it longer and longer. If she's like my DD the intense separation anxiety came in phases and it waxed and waned. Maybe you can just wait it out until she is on a downswing with it. When DD was having her big bouts of it, she cried hysterically when I put her into bed for the night but after a few weeks she was saying 'goodnight mummy' and had no issues with me leaving her in the crib to sleep. It may go away and come back several times. If you go to the Y a lot she will probably get used to it sooner than if you only go once per week or so, though.

brittany208
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Its very normal for kids to cry when they get dropped off. Does she stop pretty quickly? Good childcare workers should be able to distract her and keep her happy with toys while you're gone. My son used to cry when I went to the gym, but they got him distracted, and he got used to being there and had fun. stick with it.

oh, and also, you cah practice leaving her for short periods of time while you are at home to get her used to being away from you. either with you just out of the room, or with someone else watching her.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I think she will get used to it over time.

corrinacs
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Hey mama, Well, she's never been without you, so that's precisely why she's acting this way!  The best you can do is give her practice.  And at the gym is the perfect place to give her that practice :).  Try going on dates and having a trusted baby sitter come over :).  Let them know the situation about her being cranky, but its something that takes practice :).

My kids never had separation anxiety really.....but they were in daycare at a young age :/.  WIsh I could be a SAHM, but I have to work to help provide for my family.

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM

My son is 5 and he still doesn't like to be left with strangers. my 14 month old doesn't like it if she sees me walking away, but if I can get her interested in something and leave she has no clue i'm gone until I come back. lol

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM

The first few times I tried to leave dd at our church daycare she freaked out.  What worked for us was I spent a few Sundays hanging out with her in the daycare room.  Once she was used to the place and used to the daycare provider I was able to leave her there without her crying at all.

MarylandMom123
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad to hear this! I was wondering if this would help...or if it would just confuse her as to why sometimes mommy stays in the daycare, and sometimes mommy leaves her in the daycare. I will try this!!

Quoting cabrandy03:

The first few times I tried to leave dd at our church daycare she freaked out.  What worked for us was I spent a few Sundays hanging out with her in the daycare room.  Once she was used to the place and used to the daycare provider I was able to leave her there without her crying at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)