Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! My child is being bitten by other children!

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM
  • 3 Replies

Hello! My 2 y/o son has been bitten twice in the passed week by his cousin. He goes to my SIL's house during the day while my husband and I work. My SIL (husbands sister)  has two children of her own. The youngest (2 1/2) has recently started biting my son. My SIL's eldest child used to bite my daughter (5) last year but has since stopped. I know it's a phase that kids go through but does anyone have any advice (that you know that works) on how to get kids to stop biting? My SIL has smacked her daughter's mouth for biting, has even bit her to show her it hurts, but nothing works. I am so worried my son is going to pick up this bad behavior. I also don't think my SIL takes the biting as serious as I think she should. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated! 

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

my son went thru a biting phase but he only bit his sister.  we just had to be like white on rice with him and stop him before he could land the bite.  if you SIL isn't willing to address the issue then you have some decisions to make because you can't do anything if you aren't there.

the good news about my situation is that my dd has NEVER bit anyone so the behavior didn't rub off.  she's a stinker too so it easily could have but didn't.

good luck.

HopesNDreams
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Typically, kids bite when they cannot communicate what they want - either they can't say it or it cannot be understood. They know in their heads a complex statement - ' I don't want you to touch the red car' - but can only get out 'cuh', for example.

When a child is going through this phase, the adult in charge has to be present at all times, watching the play. Noticing what the child is trying to and speaking the words for him can help - 'oh you want to stack the blocks. I'll help you!' If the adult needs to walk away for a moment, the biter needs to go with her.
For your child, wear thick layers - a bulky sweater or sweatshirt in top of regular clothes will reduce the damage. If it continues for longer than a month or two, consider other child care arrangements.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Your SIL really needs to be a lot more proactive. She needs to watch signs to find ways to stop the biting BEFORE it happens.  It takes A LOT of work, I know.  I worked in child care with a child who was a huge biter.  We had to watch her like a hawk (we had an extra person in the room specifically for her for like a week to watch the behavior) and learn the signs to recognize so we could be proactive and stop it before it happens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)