Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

gave my dd melatonin tonight guilty/relief

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM
  • 60 Replies
After almost a full year of exhausting tantrums and miserable nights... i gave my dd a small dose of melatonin tonight, and she didnt even make it through the story. This marks the firstnight in over a month that the last thing i did before leaving her room wasnt yelling and spanking. Its the first time in 8 months that she didnt scream when i left the room. Cuddling and saying i love you, stroking her hair gave me such a sense of peace. Peace for her, peace for us. Any testimonials? Advice? Side effects? I am feeling very conflicted... i failed to provide my daughter a healthy, successful, restful routine. Definitely not a long term solution.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Melatonin is not a bad thing.. Perhaps you can use it while you establish a healthy routine! And it also isn't a "sleep" drug thAt makes you sleepy! But it helps you fall asleep!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
som610
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I had to use it for my daughter for about a month.  Not every night and we didn't have the problems with her like you have. It worked awesome though and she had no side effects from it.

Some people say that it gives night mares and that it puts them to sleep but they don't sleep as well and wake up in middle of the night.

Good luck!

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Ive never used it, but maybe its what you guys need to get your routine reset. Id def take advantage of the calmness to reestablish a quiet routine. We do potty and teeth, then she usually rocks in her rocker while i fill humidifiers or brush my own teeth, then we sit on her floor and read a few short books she basically knows the words to, then tuck in and lights out. She babbles to her doll and stares at the stars on her ceiling and settles in for the night. Maybe a couple nights of her feeling calm and quiet at bedtime will help smooth things out. I wouldnt feel guilty mama. It sounds like you both needed some relief and maybe its just what you needed.

I also have nursery rhyme cds that play all night for both of my kiddos as their white noise. Does your lo have a nightlite, white noise, settle down objects all in the room? Sometimes my dd gets her books and will read more to herself at nap time to settle herself. Maybe theres too much going on in her room so she cant settle? Im not sure the situation so im just spouting off ideas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdoptingMommy
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Our pulmonoligist suggested it during a sleep study! Its great! Use ut for a wk it will help with a routine:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FoodIsLife
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:03 PM

One of the soothing night time teas she has for colds has a small dose of Melatonin in it. (Just be mindful that they can get a rash from it) Melatonin is a naturally occuring endocrine hormone in your body. When there is less sunlight, your body starts to produce more of it to help you feel sleepy. :-) 

jacandjay
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:08 PM
My son uses it.
boppysmom2007
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM

my 5 year old takes it every nite and he does amazing theres nothing wrong with it never had side affects i have nothing to say about it 

HopesNDreams
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM
My son has taken it off and on as needed. As he got older, the only side effect he reported was really vivid, weird dreams.

Melatonin is a safe way to help your child's body get itself back on track. Use it nightly until he is in a regular pattern and then you can discontinue it. He needs the regular sleep as much as you do!
aalmomma
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Don't feel guilty mama. Melatonin is a natural chemical in the brain. Some people don't have enough to fall asleep. A lot of kids need it. It's not bad at all.
hwifeandmom
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep.  Made a world of difference when we started using it with my then 3yr old daughter.  She just couldn't fall asleep at night, and we would spend HOURS (3-4 hours -- past midnight) trying to keep her in bed.  Melatonin made our house so much more peaceful both at bedtime as well as the next day since she wasn't as tired and cranky.  If your child can't relax for whatever reason, a routine won't make the difference, no matter how strict you are.

My daughter is 9yrs, and I still use melatonin with her.  My son was 10yrs when he started using melatonin.  We didn't have a problem with him getting out of bed, but he couldn't fall asleep, either, and would be awake well past midnight each night.  He loved using the melatonin then.  He's 16yrs now and doesn't like to use it anymore.  He's still awake until after midnight each night, but he can tolerate the lack of sleep better now than he used to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)