Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

2 YEAR OLD NOT SLEEPIN THU THE NIGHT ANYMORE SHE WAKED UP SCREAMING! help plz

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM
  • 10 Replies
Plz help i have a 2 year old little girl you usually sleep very well is now waking up screening every night. the doctor says to ignore her her scream it out I'm worried. any advice would be helpful
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyVavies
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:58 AM

What kind of doctor are they? He didn't give you any advice other then just ignore... better question. HOW OLD IS THIS DOCTOR? If they are old, then they are into the older theories of parenting. I would get  a second opinion because if she just started doing this, then something is wrong in her little world. Children don't do that for no reason. It could be night terriers.

UNLESS she is 100% better when you walk in the room.... as if nothing ever happened. Then the doctor is right.. she wants attention.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:58 AM

is she awake when she's screaming or having a night terror?  if it's a night terror there is nothing you can do.  most people suggest not touching them because they can feel as though you are attacking them since they are in an altered state of consciousness.  you can go in and make sure she's safe but let it run its course.  if she's awake then i would probably go in and comfort her.

my hunch is night terror though.  usually there is a pattern to their onset with overexhaustion being a common cause.  if this may be the case, try moving her bedtime up a half hour and see if it makes a difference.  otherwise, try to see any other commonality between the days/nights where she wakes vs. doesn't.

FaeBrooke
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Could be night terrors. I would def get a second opinion. My DD went through that when she was younger, Every now and then she will have them. I will usually try to talk to her and comfort her until I know she's awake. The one time I did pick her up she started thrashing and going nuts like I was going to kill her or something. Does she watch a movie or anything before bed? sometimes something we may not think of as scary can be to them. I never thought the Grasshoppers in A Bugs Life were scary but to a toddler they don't know Grasshoppers are harmless.

lovemymd
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Make sure is not crying or screaming bc she is hurt or scared.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louannwilkins
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Does she stop crying the minute you go in the room?  I guess the main thing for me would be to make sure nothing is wrong with her.  Maybe you need a 2nd opinion.  Be sure to let us know.  :)

mariesmama
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM

my daughter had night terrors rocking her was all that calmed her down

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

is she awake when she's screaming or having a night terror?  if it's a night terror there is nothing you can do.  most people suggest not touching them because they can feel as though you are attacking them since they are in an altered state of consciousness.  you can go in and make sure she's safe but let it run its course.  if she's awake then i would probably go in and comfort her.

my hunch is night terror though.  usually there is a pattern to their onset with overexhaustion being a common cause.  if this may be the case, try moving her bedtime up a half hour and see if it makes a difference.  otherwise, try to see any other commonality between the days/nights where she wakes vs. doesn't.

kellyrobrets
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Thank u guys, no. She doesnt stop crying when i go in she does act confussed. Her bedtime usually a bath n a elmo movie then she falls asleep n i move her to her bed. I really havent got rhe hang of getting her to fall asleep in her bed because she will scream n scream for a hour or more. So moveing her just works better for me. And the doctor is an older doctor. I called a hotline and they said it sounded like night terrors too n not to touch her or talk to her just sit in the room with her to make sure she doesnt hurt herself because it just like sleep walking. Im hopeing it wont last long because it scares me so bad. Thanks again everyone
piwife
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Yeah sounds like night terrors my oldest had them from about a year she is 6 now and still gets them, not as often now.my son is 4 and started getting them about a year ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Agreed, most children between 15 mos and two and a half go through a period of night terrors. Thier eyes can be open and standing up, but I don't believe in CIO in any case. I used to sit and whisper to him and put his lullabies on hoping he'd calm down. He would eventually. As far as a tot wanting to go clubbing in the middle of the night. I have spent many a night on the couch and he laid on the recliner. Knowing I was there, but not laying with him helped him doze off again.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM

is she cutting molars?  does she go to sleep early enough...one of the major causes of night terrors and poor sleep habits is being overtired/overstimulated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)