Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Pacifier at 2?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM
  • 52 Replies

My son just turned 2 at the end of December. He still uses a pacifier when he naps and at night. He just had a dentist appointment and the dentist said he has a overbite and if we take away the pacifier it will correct itself on its own. Now what upset me was the dental assistant. She tried to lecture me on how to whine my son off it. I Did this with my son. My son this. Blah blah blah. I  understand its not the best thing for his teeth but she doesn't know why he can't not sleep with it. 

My son had reflux from 1 month until almost 10 months old and his pacifier was his safety. It would literally prevent him from throwing up which would cause him pain because it happened so often. I have gotten him to only use it for nap and bedtime which was when he would freak out the most when he would throw up. 

So I guess my question is, how long was you son/daughter with a pacifier and how did you decide as their mother to take it away?

thanks in advance ladies!!

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ferne3
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I was ambivalent about it, I just didn't like them in pictures.  DH one day decided DD was done and hid them all (13 or 14 months).  We'd show her where they'd used to be and told her they were gone - two or three days she cried for it and that was it.  I think the older they get the harder it can be...

illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:59 PM

20 months with DD1. DD2 never took a pacifier.

I hate pacifiers in non-special needs kids. If I had a 3rd kid I'd take the paci away by 16 months at the latest. The younger they are, the easier it is to take it away.

My friend's son is autistic and in Kindergarten he still had it. In his case though, it was a NEED and not a want and without it he would have never been able to handle being mainstreamed at school. His aide needed a way to calm him while he adjusted.

proudmommaof6bo
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
My oldest two were my only kids that took them. I took them away when they turned 1 and didn't have any problems.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2curly
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like my DS with the binky, the reflux and everything. We did the "binky fairy" thing  and he gave it up around 2 1/2.  

babygomez
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM

12 months of age for both kids. I just threw them all out one day, that's it, no looking back. They weren't attached to them to begin with, anyway.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:23 AM

my son had his until he was 3 (only for nap and sleeping after about 15 months) and his dentist wasn't concerned at all!  i had a young baby in the house, he was napping 3 hours a day and the dentist said "let sleeping dogs lie.  you have a new baby, keep your toddler sleeping and get your rest!" 

with that said, once we decided it was time we just threw them away and were done with it.  we decided on his 3rd birthday, prepped him for a month or 2, had a countdown chart for it and then that night we had him toss them.  that night he woke up a half dozen times or so looking for it but we were able to get him right back to sleep.  the next morning he got a special Big Boy present that was separate from his birthday presents.   he slept perfectly that night and every night thereafter.  his naps did suffer for about a month but i eventually got those back on track too.

my dd never took one.

KLamonica1
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:06 AM
My son is 2.5
Planning on the same thing here.
We were good. Almost weaned but then I brought home his baby sister.

Keeping the peace.

It will come.
I don't think there is a magic age but I'm gong to shoot for 3 lol

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

my son had his until he was 3 (only for nap and sleeping after about 15 months) and his dentist wasn't concerned at all!  i had a young baby in the house, he was napping 3 hours a day and the dentist said "let sleeping dogs lie.  you have a new baby, keep your toddler sleeping and get your rest!" 

with that said, once we decided it was time we just threw them away and were done with it.  we decided on his 3rd birthday, prepped him for a month or 2, had a countdown chart for it and then that night we had him toss them.  that night he woke up a half dozen times or so looking for it but we were able to get him right back to sleep.  the next morning he got a special Big Boy present that was separate from his birthday presents.   he slept perfectly that night and every night thereafter.  his naps did suffer for about a month but i eventually got those back on track too.

my dd never took one.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:11 AM
Mine didn't like the once hey realized no milk was coming out they wanted no part. But with my friends kids and my niece and nephews I have watched this battle and they older they get the harder it is to get rid of the paci. And if the dr thinks the over bite will correct itself if u get rid of them. I would recommend it. Much cheaper in the long run . Good luck!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittanyx22
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:17 AM
I never used a pacifier. One less bad habit to break. I've heard if people using the method where you cut the nipple part off. I think you start by poking a hole in the tip with a pin. Then the next day you cut the tip off. You continue cutting it down little by little until the nipple is gone. My friend did that and had her son weaned off of it in 4 days. Once you poke the hole in the tip they can't suck on it like they used to be able to so it changes the sensation.
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Thank you for that idea! My DD is about to be 3 in May and REFUSES to give it up! I keep telling her she is a big girl and doesnt need it anymore. I try keeping it from her but she throws massive tantrums! Like, MASSIVE. Makes me crazy.

I'm going to do this when she turns 3. Maybe I will send our older DD to sleep at my parents that night so she doesnt get bothered by the screaming all night. :)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

my dd never took one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)