Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

how to encourage 3 1/2 yr old to go potty?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM
  • 6 Replies
My daughter has been about 75% daytime potty trained for about a year and a half! With no real improvement since she learned to use her potty. There are weeks straight she will use her potty everytime and I think she's got it. Then she will "back track" and have 4-5 accidents in one day.

Why is she being so stubborn about this? She is a very alert and smart girl so she definately knows where she is supposed to go potty.

Hubby and I have tried star charts, buying her new panties, etc..if she is reminded every hour or so then she usualy camake a day as long as I catch her before she has an accident...

Any tips for motivating a
3 1/2 year old to use her potty every time?
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Do you have her in charge of cleaning her accidents?  I would start there.  Put her fully in charge of the process and walk away.  If she has an accident point her in the direction of the cleaning products (a wet towel) and her clean clothes and walk away.  You can go back over the accident spot later, if necessary.  She will hopefully decide that the cleaning process isn't that much fun and work harder to get to the potty quicker.

Star charts didn't do anything for my dd either.  Verbal praise was what she craved :)  Did your star chart have her working toward a bigger prize?  If not, you may try that.  She may still be too young to understand that concept though.

Hutersmom
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Idk know about Girls really with my son being naked for a few days did it I was really lucky and he night trained himself he stopped wettin his pampers overnight at like 1.5-2 so I didn't have to deal with that I remind him occasionally but really he knows and goes on his own. For my little sister he hated being dirty and being without a pamper or undies did not fly with her lol so two days later she was trained my mom was so luck with her lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Darmino
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:30 AM
[quote name="Luvmy2babies22" id="0"]

Do you have her in charge of cleaning her accidents?  I would start there.  Put her fully in charge of the process and walk away.  If she has an accident point her in the direction of the cleaning products (a wet towel) and her clean clothes and walk away.  You can go back over the accident spot later, if necessary.  She will hopefully decide that the cleaning process isn't that much fun and work harder to get to the potty quicker.

Star charts didn't do anything for my dd either.  Verbal praise was what she craved :)  Did your star chart have her working toward a bigger prize?  If not, you may try that.  She may still be too young to understand that concept though.

[/quo

Yes she is responsible for getting changed, cleaning up mess, putting clothes in laundry bin.etc.. sometimes she will even be like I had an accident I need to go change. It's not the potty either she has a stool and can easily reach. Tried hey little.potty also
hazel1922
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Make a chart. A reward type of thing to encourage her. When she feels up the first week treat her to something.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm looking for ideas too. My youngest is going to be 3 in May and is VERY smart and knows exactly how to use the potty but just refuses. She knows that when she is trained she is going to school. And while she acts excited about it, she then says "I no go to school!". She has an oder sister who is in first grade so she knows exatly what to do. She will stand there and tell you "I goin' pee-pees" and she wakes up in the AM and from naps dry. But when you say lets go to the potty she refuses.

So stubborn!

Anyway, sorry, didnt mean to hijack, but I am also looking for ideas for motivation. 

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

One thing to consider:

Kids will sometimes back-track during times of stress.  Is there anything going on that would cause her stress?  This can be as simple as new baby in the house, less attention being given, fighting or tension between parents...

My 5 YO nephew started pooping in his pants again last summer.  It was about the time that my sister and her a**hole boyfriend (nephew's father) started fighting more and there was constant tension.  When the tension eased up, so did the accidents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)