Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Stuttering piog

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Jen
  • 21 Replies
Have your kids ever stuttered?

I know it's developmentally appropriate for toddlers to do it. The funny thing with Liam (34 months) is that he stutters AFTER the word. Off f f f or church ch ch ch. I talked to the speech person from EI and she was thinking its not stuttering but verbal stimming.

I've noticed it getting worse in the past few days. He will even just start making a sound like fa fa fa fa fa fa when he's trying to tell us something but can't get it out.

So I'm just looking for advice, wondering if anyone has had this going on with their kids.

He also breaks up his sentences so each word is its own sentence. Like "see. Go-ing. Sleep."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM

DD did. She started just before she turned 3 1/2. She just woke up one morning and couldn't say her name. She'd say F-f-f-f-f- pause for a bit F-f-f-f-f-f-fiona. It lasted for a couple months I think, then as quick as it started, it stopped. I'd be patient, if it keeps up, you can have him evaluated. But don't rush into anything. Good luck Mama!

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I love your dd's name! Thanks. He's already getting evaluated next week - because he's in early intervention and is turning 3, the preschool has to evaluate him. I know it's pretty common and we just ignore it. Hoping he just grows out of it one day! Thanks for responding.

Quoting StacyO722:

DD did. She started just before she turned 3 1/2. She just woke up one morning and couldn't say her name. She'd say F-f-f-f-f- pause for a bit F-f-f-f-f-f-fiona. It lasted for a couple months I think, then as quick as it started, it stopped. I'd be patient, if it keeps up, you can have him evaluated. But don't rush into anything. Good luck Mama!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM

No sorry. I think it's pretty normal though. :/

MommyBL
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM

My DD will be 2 in June, I noticed she's been stuttering the past couple days. It seems to me more like she can't talk fast enough to get her thoughts out, I just usually tell her to slow down for a sec or I'll say the word she's trying to say and then she starts over her sentence fine. I haven't thought much of it though!

Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
DS does stutter some, but has decreased dramatically in the past few weeks. His was more about word-finding and organizing his thoughts and language when using longer, more complex sentences. He would repeat parts of phrases, but it wasn't "typical" stuttering because he didn't have any not the secondary characteristics. I would just let him work it out, since it's not a good idea to tell them to "slow down" or say the words for them, as that draws attention to it. I have worked with 1-2 kids who did some ting similar to what your son did. They outgrew it and it did seem to be that they were playing around with sounds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Thanks. We basically just ignore it. Hopefully he will just stop doing it one day.

Quoting Poisongirl98:

DS does stutter some, but has decreased dramatically in the past few weeks. His was more about word-finding and organizing his thoughts and language when using longer, more complex sentences. He would repeat parts of phrases, but it wasn't "typical" stuttering because he didn't have any not the secondary characteristics. I would just let him work it out, since it's not a good idea to tell them to "slow down" or say the words for them, as that draws attention to it. I have worked with 1-2 kids who did some ting similar to what your son did. They outgrew it and it did seem to be that they were playing around with sounds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah, both of my kids have gone thru that.  my dd is actually doing it now and she's 3 1/2.  it's when she's trying to tell a story super fast and her brain is working faster than her mouth.  my son outgrew it at some point and i expect my dd will as well. 

MrsRobinson06
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I have not dealt with stuttering, good luck.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM
It's my understanding that it can be really hard , even for speech and hearing professionals, to figure out if a preschoolers stammer / stutter is temporary or not. Either way, a good thing to do is to slow down your own rate of speech. Encourage everyone else who spends time with him to do the same.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HamBergerMama
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Bump! Sorry I don't know =/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)