Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My toddlers' new nap/bed time trick. HELP!

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
  • 17 Replies
Hi. My son is 23 months old and recently started something when being put in his crib for both nap and bed time...throwing his precious blankey on the floor and SCREAMING for it. He will not stop until he gets the blanket. When we go in the room to get it, he wants out. I have tried telling him not to throw it, that mommy is only going to get it one more time and even letting him cry for it. Bed time isn't as bad as nap time, but, still, UGH! Any thoughts or ideas would be extremely appreciated!
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SprinkleKaya
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

what we do is we sit on the recliner and hold him (while watching the lorax) once he's OUT we finally put him in bed

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM
We get ds to sleep and then put him down. He had to have his blanket too. He doesn't nap anymore though
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JstPlnLvly3
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Thanks! But, as soon as i put him in, he will wake up, quickly stand up and do it again. :(
PEEK05
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I don't know, but I'd probably tell him his blanket is staying on the floor the next time he threw it.  I'd rub his back until he fell asleep though.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM
How many naps does he have? Maybe he only needs one now?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflycircle
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM

i rocked and read to my son at nap time until asleep or close to it.

corrinacs
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

MY son did this for a while...well something similar at this age.  It's mainly for attention.  I get it once, and I tell him I'm only ocming in once.  Beyond that, its a no-go.  I'm flat serious.  He can fuss it out all he wants (and you can tell that fuss vs. a I'm hungry or in pain fuss).  

I tell him if he doesn't do it, then he can have a treat in the morning :).  That worked REALLY well for my son :)

JstPlnLvly3
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM
He only has one nap a day now.
JstPlnLvly3
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM
I think it is for attention, for sure. He just doesn't give up with the screaming, though. Drives me nuts!
aimesnyc
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

He knows you are going to come in and get the blanket at least once.  I would let him know before bed that you will not be coming in to get his blanket.  And when he does it to test you, stick to your guns.  You know he's safe and the screaming is only to get your attention.  The more that you do not react, the less he will do it.  If he has to sleep without a blanket that night (or you go in there later after he's finally fallen asleep and lay it on him), then so be it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN