Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Anyone have a kiddo with bad bloody noses?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 15 Replies
My 3 yr old boy gets then out of the blue. Some come in the middle of the night, but they are really bad! I have an appt with his Doc but can't get in tell next week.
He's not a picker and we have 2 humidifiers running. Any other ideas?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Paradys
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
i had them like that when I was young, only explanation we got was that the capillaries were very close to the surface inside my nose.
I eventually outgrew them.
What do you do for them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SillyDayze
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:08 AM
His Doc says pinch off the end of hid nose and tilt his head back slightly, so we do. It takes about 20 minutes or so to get the bleeding to stop and now ds is getting scared to wash his face or blow his nose... poor guy!
natural_s
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

My 6yr old gets them very bad and out of the blue to now he knows when they are coming and takes care of them himself (sometimes happen in the middle of the night). My doctor had prescribed him medicine but it has not worked so I need to take him back myself.

His dad and family has a history of bloody noses and I found out that there is a hereditary condition called HHT ( Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia) which is a genetic disorder that causes abnormalities of blood vessels. There are places that due testing to see if that is the problem so we are going to look into that because the medication, humidifier or nothing has not made the nose bleeds stop and he gets them a lot in all kinds of weather and time of days and nights.

So sorry we have not found anything that has worked on my son but if this is your first time taking  him to the doctor for it he might just put him on medication to see if that helps. It has not for mine but might for yours. Good luck with that I know it can be scary and annoying because of the amount of blood that appears to come from the nose.

sukainah
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

We don't have that problem, but I hope your doctor can give you some good advice to get rid of the problem

luvmy2gurlz0405
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Quoting Paradys:

i had them like that when I was young, only explanation we got was that the capillaries were very close to the surface inside my nose.
What do you do for them?

slw123
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Quoting Paradys:

What do you do for them?

This is what I was going to say. My daughter had them too when she was a toddler.  She is 10 now and hasn't had a nose bleed in years.  It's always alarming when we see blood, so it's still best to talk with the pediatrician about it.

corrinacs
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Oh dear!  I would say from teh getgo, could be allergis :/.  But see the doctor, they can tell you more about what's going on!

Good luck!!!

Paradys
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Ok try this, head forward (not back, backs causes them so swallow blood), pinch bridge of nose, and an ice-pack on the back of the neck. This will stop them quicker, unfortunately that's the only help I can offer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HamBergerMama
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Same with me. I used to even get them in the shower (doesn't get much more humid than that!) Its a hereditary thing in my case. 

I out grew as well, but we always stopped them with pressure and tipping head back. Sorry I don't know much more than that to suggest. 

Quoting Paradys:

What do you do for them?

Blessed Mommy to: Angel Baby : 07/08/08  Alexander Jayce:05/21/09 Kalea Brielle: 06/03/10 Michael Zachary 09/22/11 Angel Baby: 07/02/12 Expecting Baby Boy EDD 04/18/13

Newfie_Mom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM
For my daughter we put a little vasoline on the rim of her nose and just inside (not far just the edges) with the humidifiers. Hers was just dryness though so if he has any other issue this may not work for him. Vicks vapo works good too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN