Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: 2.5yr old son at risk for autism

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 18 Replies

i have a 2.5yr old that is constantly being evaluated for autism. he's been marked for being at risk for autism because he's not communicating much. he will say every word on nick jr but his words are limited when it comes to expressive communication. he does not have a problem with behavior.he's very smart,self taught with a lot of things like being able to count to 50 and identifying basic shapes and shapes like trapezoid. he can also identify the alphabet. he knows how to trace and write numbers and letters. i dont have anybody around that can relate to my situation. i joined to see if anyone had advice.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Newfie_Mom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
They evaluated my son as well but immediately dismissed the possibility. My son just doesn't talk because he doesn't want to. He doesn't do the normal kid rambling.

I know little to nothing about autism but I can tell you my son is 3 and can't do a good number of the things on the list of things you said your 2.5 can.

There is an autism group maybe they would have more accurate information for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Sorry, my kids have never been evaluated for autism but here is a bump.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM
My son has a speech delay he is very visual so he learned all of his basics like letters shapes etc.. Very quickly he could speak but he didn't communicate with others and he is sensory sensitive and he has a pdd-nos diagnosis.
TigerofMu
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I really don't have any advice other than continue searching, and spend lots of time with him, try to make at least some of it sensory time as well.

corrinacs
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey mama,

Why do they keep going to autism and that's false, but leaving it at that?  It sounds like he needs a speech therapist to evaluate him.  With what you said, I see no clear indication of autism at all!  Some children dont' communicate well for other reasons, and since that's his main area of deficiency right now, I'd do that if I were you.

Good luck :)

KaisonsMom
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
He has speech therapy twice a week. He has improved so much since he started. We have to get him evaluated for occupational therapy now for sensory. They said since he doesnt like his hands dirty and likes to stuff his mouth sometimes, thats a sign of autism.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Quoting KaisonsMom:

He has speech therapy twice a week. He has improved so much since he started. We have to get him evaluated for occupational therapy now for sensory. They said since he doesnt like his hands dirty and likes to stuff his mouth sometimes, thats a sign of autism.

he could just have a speech delay and sensory processing disorder like my kid does

Poisongirl98
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry but who told you that not wanting to get his hands dirty and stuffing his mouth were signs of autism? Those can be signs of a sensory processing disorder, but that alone or even when combined with a speech delay are not signs of autism. Are there other things the therapists think point to autism. Sometimes, an over-focus on numbers, letters and shapes, knowing those better than the ordinary, everyday words and not using those words to communicate with you can point to autism.

Quoting KaisonsMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
occumommy
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM
My DS1 was ovely focused on shapes, numbers, letters,even before talking. He is an aspie. He also has sensory issues. I am still learning about this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sigmalade
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

By working more closely with an occupational therapist maybe they will see that this seems less like autism and maybe something closer to Speech Apraxia. I am not a professional in any way but the few children and teens I have worked with autism had more blatant signs for lack of the correct terms. Good luck and keep up with the research.!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)