Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to explain the death of a parent

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM
  • 5 Replies

My half brother was recently killed in what we believe was a home invasion. He was a single dad. My mom is now taking in his sons who are 2 and 2 months. I know the baby wont really understand whats going on but the two year old has begun to ask where his daddy is. How can we explain it in a way that he will understand? I know that he understands everyone is sad for some reason but not really why.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
nurbabe82
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Our nephew's dad passed when he was 3. He was told daddy went to heaven and that worked for him. He was taught that when people die they go to heaven so he had a point of reference when he was told his dad went to heaven. I don't know what your family's beliefs are but that's one idea.

ETA: And I am sorry for your loss. Hugs. Should have had that in my original reply.

OBImomma
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I am so sorry :-(
I would tell him he went to heaven. That what we told my kids when my grandparents died.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss and for the loss of those 2 sweet boys.  I don't have any good advice except for to possibly speak with a child psychologist.  Peace be with your family.

corrinacs
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I agree with all posters here!

I would go with your beliefs on the matter.  And try to be as comforting as possible.  And its fine to let him see his mom greive (and anyone else in his family).  He may feel afraid to, or not know what to do, but seeing you all cry will let him know its ok to miss his daddy too!

And I highly encourage a greif counselor or a pychologist.  They can certailny make sure that he greives in a healthy manner.  Sometimes it may help mommy too.

Good luck and I am so sorry for your loss!  My BIL was almost killed in a home invasion.  He was forced into a closet at gunpoint and most of his belongings (not very much) was stolen.  Luckily, he's still alive.  He carries agun with him at all times now as a result.

HamBergerMama
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Oh I am so sorry, I can't imagine.

I would probably try to talk to a child psychologist as well. 

I am so sorry for your loss!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)