Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sick Toddler!

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 6 Replies

Moms, 

I need some advice. My daughter who is 3 was diagnosed with having pharyngitis about 3 days ago. Her fever started out at 101 and stayed consistant for the first day. The second day it jumped to 103.9. So I took back to her pediatrician because in my head thats a high fever. They told me that pharyngitis will cause high fevers and to give her motrin and tylenol alternating every 3 hours. I have been but her fever keeps spiking. The highest its been is 105.4. Ive had to put her in cool baths to bring it down. This does not seem normal to me and Im wondering if any other mom has experienced this. Ive taken her to Childrens and her pediatrician and they both act like its normal. Any advice please. 

Thank  you

Leila

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM
My dd spiked to 105 with roseola. My pedi acted as if it were fine also. Made me bonkers. Is the medicine bringing it down? For the bath dont do too cool, shivers are awful for fevers. The cooling of the body comes from the water evaporating off the skin, so pouring water on her over and over will help in the tub. Light clothes, fluids fluids fluids. You do not want a dehydrated lil one. Give her whatever she wants to eat/drink, popsicles, juice, water, icecream, literally anything to keep her hydrated.

I think i would call and see how high you are supposed to let it go, 105 scares me and i told dh if it went even to 105.1 she was going to the er.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leila1986
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Quoting lillucky8:
Her baths are luke warm when her fever gets up to 105. I am pushing fluids all the time. She hasnt ate much but her pedi said thats normal. Since her fever has been over 103 she consistantly has the shivers. All she wants to do is cover up. During the day I have her in shorts, and at bed time I change her in thin summer jammie pants. The motrin and tylenol will bring it down to about 103 but not lower than that. I think if we have another round of 105 fevers tomorrow im going back to Childrens with her. I literally am worried sick. I have to set my alarm for ever 3 hours at night so I can giver her tylenol or motrin so her fevers dont spike. Ive had pharyngitis before and never had high fevers, even as a child. (according to my mother) Thank you for the advice!

My dd spiked to 105 with roseola. My pedi acted as if it were fine also. Made me bonkers. Is the medicine bringing it down? For the bath dont do too cool, shivers are awful for fevers. The cooling of the body comes from the water evaporating off the skin, so pouring water on her over and over will help in the tub. Light clothes, fluids fluids fluids. You do not want a dehydrated lil one. Give her whatever she wants to eat/drink, popsicles, juice, water, icecream, literally anything to keep her hydrated.

I think i would call and see how high you are supposed to let it go, 105 scares me and i told dh if it went even to 105.1 she was going to the er.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Aww, poor pooker. Id let her have pants on if they are thin. Fever shivers are awful :( my dd is always cold so sick baby is even worse :/

Not eating is normal when sick per my pedi also, i just push fluids like crazy, dehydration will make everything worse, and i try to offer things i know she likes so she doesnt have an empty belly for the meds. Fruit, snacks, whatever.

Id say sitting at 103 isnt much better...i would def at least call the oncall tomorrow n see if they have more advice. Sometimes calling.after hours i get the nurses that seem more seasoned and have more advice. I hope she feels better soon so you can both relax and just have a couple of jammy days this wknd.

Quoting leila1986:

Quoting lillucky8:
Her baths are luke warm when her fever gets up to 105. I am pushing fluids all the time. She hasnt ate much but her pedi said thats normal. Since her fever has been over 103 she consistantly has the shivers. All she wants to do is cover up. During the day I have her in shorts, and at bed time I change her in thin summer jammie pants. The motrin and tylenol will bring it down to about 103 but not lower than that. I think if we have another round of 105 fevers tomorrow im going back to Childrens with her. I literally am worried sick. I have to set my alarm for ever 3 hours at night so I can giver her tylenol or motrin so her fevers dont spike. Ive had pharyngitis before and never had high fevers, even as a child. (according to my mother) Thank you for the advice!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Honestly I would try another dr if the fevers dont stop.If it gets high again I would go to the er.When my dd Rachel was 3 weeks old her temp went to 103.She ended up in the hospital for 10 days.They think it was blood poisoning

leila1986
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Quoting momofsixangels:
Yes If her fever continues tomorrow then I am going to take her to the ER.  Thank you! I was starting to think I was just over reacting but im glad other moms are on the same page as me. After taking her to her pedi and to childrens i thought I was just being an hyper mom. 

Honestly I would try another dr if the fevers dont stop.If it gets high again I would go to the er.When my dd Rachel was 3 weeks old her temp went to 103.She ended up in the hospital for 10 days.They think it was blood poisoning

MrsRobinson06
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I've never dealt with that but it does seem too high. I would just keep taking her back in. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)