Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doing something wrong??

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 14 Replies
I so feel like a bad mom or Im doing something wrong. My dd just turned 2 and still seems to act like a baby most of the time. I mean she is my baby and all but I wonder if Im holding her back somehow. I know kids all develop at their own pace but I just get frustrated at times and my dh asking well why doesnt dd do that? She has started picking up on more words which is a good thing because she was behind some. But its like she still drinks milk from a bottle at nite before bed. She refuses to give that up and I want to make sure shes full before bed. (The bottle is the only way she'll drink milk and its once a day) She still sleeps in a crib, which Im ok with. This way I know shes ok and wont roll out of a bed. And then theres potty training. She flat out refuses most days to sit on the potty even with a diaper on, but yet screams bloody murder some days when needing to change her diaper. So idk what to do there. Im sure shes not ready for potty training and its ok, but I know 5 other kids who are her exact age (all born in the same week as dd) and talking so much better, drink from a sippy or cup and dont use a bottle, have moved into toddler beds, and are freakin practically potty trained. I would love to keep her little forever but I know thats not possible but just wonder if Im doing something wrong or not doing something right? Ugh just frustrating. Im doin my best. Just hope Im doin things sorta right. Well anyways, thanks for the vent. Sorry its long.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sigmalade
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Kids are all different. See what the other parents are doing with their children' speech. we stopped letting our son grunt. If he wanted something, he had to say the word plus we did sign language(only $10 for two dvds and flashcards). I wouldn't try to potty train her for another few month. Let her get used to seeing the potty without any pressure. I think she is too old for a bottle, maybe at night a sippy cup instead. Also, if you are scared she would roll out of a toddler bed, buy a rail. I did and it worked fine. It can be a real struggle because you want to baby them, but they need to hit their milestones. Also just make sure you are talking to her everyday and maybe find a play group.! Good Luck!!

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Potty training dont stress, she will train when shes ready.

Crib i wouldnt stress. My dd will be 2.5 next month and she just switched to a bed bc she was climbing out and was unsafe. If she wasnt climbing shes still be in the crib.

The bottle i got rid of at 18mos. I tried gradual and she wouldnt have it. So i hid all the bottles in a grocery bag in the basement for the next baby and gave her the sippy. She cried and refused for a bit but then realized if she wanted her milk she had to drink the sippy. I still give dd milk in her sippy before bed. She has milk several times a day. Shes a tiny lil thing so she could use the extra. If you want to ditch the bottle then just be strong and ditch em. Buti dont see anything wrong with milk before bed as long as its not in bed.

As for not being on par with others, have you talked to her pedi? I dont have many suggestions for that besides maybe reading alot? flashcards? Games? Im not sure really, id see what resources your pedi can offer.

Dont worry mama, ur doing a great job! Your baby is happy and healthy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM

You are not a bad Mom.All  kids do things at their opwn pace. She will grow up and start doing things before you know it.I had one walking at 9 months old and another not until she was a yearShe will be fine.You are doing a great job dont stress

OliviaW.
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM
All kids develop at their own pace. My ds is over two and still in a crib plus he's in speech therapy cause he barely talks. Trust me I feel like a failure there cause his sister (15 months older) was talking by 14 months. It took him forever to ditch the bottle but we managed but he still goes to bed with a sippy cup (he tosses it out when he's done with it. I've been told that if they have a sibling close in age there are delays though.
HamBergerMama
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I agree, kids develop differently! On the language thing, I think if they have older siblings they are likely to talk later (generally) because their sibs translate for them!

Potty training: just turning two is YOUNG for being potty trained! My ds1, did train 3 weeks after his 2nd birthday, night time within 2 mos. my DD was two and a half before we consistently didn't have lots of accidents. And she still soaks her diaper every night!

On the bottle I would take them away now, that can be bad for her teeth, take her to the store and let her pick out a new special sippy just for milk at bedtime!

Don't stress mama! You are doing fine!
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Don't compare her. Shes not ready to potty train. My son was 3 1/2, my dd was 2 years 9 months.

Both of my kids were in the crib until 2 1/2. I like my kids behind bars for as long as possible!!!

Lose the bottle. Shes too old for it. Throw them away and be done with it. Cows milk is a beverage and wont keep her full all night anyway. Give her protein before bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRobinson06
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I agree with the other ladies.
iansmommy9
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM

The crib and not potty training at this age are OK. The bottle at 2 needs to be cut out immediately. It will only take her a night or 2 to be hungry/thirsty before she realizes either she drinks from a sippy cup, or she gets nothing. My sone was off a bottle at 11 months. It took me about 2 days to get him over the hump of wanting it. It was a little tought, but we managed. Everyone in the house drank from sippy cups until he was broken. That way, he was like everyone else. Drinking milk from a bottle at this age can lead to tooth decay.

anj2mom
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Just like everyone else says, all kids r different. My son is 2 1/2 and i swesr he seems, even looks more like a baby than dd did at this age. I often wonder if i am holding my kids back by babying them. Also i wouldnt think to start ds potty training right now cuz hes too high energy to calm down and learn to potty. My dd was ok at this age but she wasnt really ready til 3 yo. I'd try to grt rid of the bottle eventually but nothing sounds bad that you're doing. Cherish this time is sll i can say. :)
MommyBL
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM
well if it makes you feel better, my DD will be 3 in June and we just stoppes giving her a bottle at bedtime...like within the last week! she isn't potty trained either, doesn't show interest at all at home but will occasionally go while she's at preschool! it can be frustrating sometimes to compare to other kids. I would definitely mention it to your pediatrician she can reassure you that everything is normal or if there's anything she thinks you should work on or be concerned about!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)