Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you decided it's time to go to the doctor? *Update*

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

At what point do you decide that a cold deserves a doctor visit? Or do you take your LO the minute you see a runny nose?

A few weeks ago, dd had a cold that lasted a little longer than normal. Usually I don't take her for a cold, but this cold also had a nasty little cough that went along with it. Her ped wasn't worried. She said if she didn't get better within a week to bring her back. No meds, no x-rays of her chest, nothing. 

DD was fine within the next day or so. Then a week ago dd's allergies start acting up. But instead of just allergies it's accompanied by that same nasty cough and a low grade fever that started today. I plan on taking her to the doc tomorrow, but will it be worth even going? It takes us an hour to get there and gas ain't cheap, plus the co-pay. I just don't wanna go, pay all that money, and wait for an hour, to be seen for 5 minutes and told everything's fine. If she doesn't get better come back. Well hell, that's why I'm here in the first place! She hasn't gotten better!

*Update*

Well thanks for the advice ladies! DD ended up spiking a fever Friday night, and made the choice a no-brainer. It was an ear infection. You wouldn't have even been able to tell DD was sick, other than her fever, so we caught it early. The ped made me feel good though. She looked up what kind of antibiotics she had been on, and the last time she'd been on any was in Dec of 2011. She said dd was a very healthy child. Which makes me feel wonderful!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM
We only go if we suspect something secondary like an ear infection. My kids are SUPER healthy so they don't go often. My son has had pneumonia twice but those were severe symptoms and a no brainer.

I'm sure you didn't get meds or anything because her lungs were clear when he listened to them. Coughs can last for weeks. If shes not laboring to breathe or complaining of pain, just keep an eye on her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomma06
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Rarely do they go for anything except routine check ups. I treat them at home naturally because most of the time the doc either would do nothing or shove antibiotics on them. The last time any of them went because of illness was when my youngest had Hand,Foot,Mouth Disease. The doc walked in and said, yes that's HFM. Make sure to wash your hands and disinfect stuff. Really? I already knew that and now I'm out another $20 co pay for you to tell me what i already knew.
aidyns_mommy
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM
High fever that doesn't go down with meds, lethargic/ unresponsive, uncontrollable vomiting/diareahea . I only go when it is a MUST. If DS have a fever of 102.00 and is running around acting fine I don't care. If he has a fever of 99.2 and is laying around, not himself. I care A LOT. I am in the same boat. He has has a low grade fever for 4 days with just a cough. I will wait till Monday to see how he does over the weekend and then decide to take him or not. He has been cranky and moody, but eating/drinking fine. We also RARELY treat with antibiotics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mymanben
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM
I take me DS (3) if it goes beyond a week. He has a sensory thing and won't complain of pain so if a cold goes beyond the typical 7 days he likely has an ear infection. Although its been better since he got tubes! Last week I did take after 4 days and he actually had croup.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:34 PM

A cold? I don't. I've never taken a child to the doctor for a cold, not really anything they can do and we can handle that at home. We take them if they have a fever that lasts longer than 24 hours without going down.

CarolenasMommy
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Yeah that's a hard one...I feel you though on wasting the time and money just to be risked through an appointment
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

If they have a high fever and are acting sick.Not wanting to play or eat.Just laying around.If they have a high fever but are still playful I dont worry too much

iansmommy9
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM

In the beginning, I went a lot. He got RSV as a baby and had a lot of complications that ultimately resulted in a seizure and loss of concousness when he was only 6 months old. After I learned to manage his breathing issues, I pretty well know how to treat him at home with the meds they've given me. If it's somethig odd, or I suspect and underlying issue, then we get him in. I'm not one of htose that wait 5-7 days to let it pan out. My max is probably 3 days for something unknown. If he has a fever, I'm usually on-barding Advil and getting there that day. I know a lot of that is my fear and my memories of helplessness when I was alone with him during the seizure.

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM

It depends on the symptoms. If there seems to be ear pain, fever last more than a few days, lots of vomiting or anything I will take them. The doctor is only a few blocks away and they are good about fitting us in if needed.  There has been a bad cold going around. My son was cruddy from it for about 2 weeks.

emarin77
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM

If symptoms do not go away after a week or gets worse we go to the Dr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)