Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Are there toys in your toddlers room *update*?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:16 PM
  • 178 Replies
1 mom liked this
If so, do you have issues trying to get your lo to go to sleep & not play in there? I've been waiting until my ds shows signs of being tired before trying to put him down so I'm not forcing him to go lay down when he is still hyped up. However even so he still plays in his room for an hour or so before he sleeps. It never was a problem before but now its been really hard to get him to stay in bed after we tuck him in. Should I just ignore it & trust that when he's done he'll just lay himself down? He does this but dh is getting upset about it. I don't see any way to avert it though, short of taking all his toys out of his room. Is this a problem that should be corrected?

*Update*
So I spoke with dh tonight & I wanted to post our current plans on what to do about this. First off we did remove the toys from his room. He has a couple books & a stuffed car pillow but that's all that's in there now. We're working to establish his bed time routine which is still fairly new to him. We've made some additions to it hoping that maybe if it were a little more drawn out then it'll be easier to understand or at least give him more time to unwind. The routine is bath time, put PJs on, brush teeth, putting away his toys that are now in our living room, where I'll let him pick out a book to read. Then we go potty (we're in training mode), tuck him in, read the book he picked out & we say our good nights. Now I know I can't expect immediate results, so far we've had to go in there twice to turn his lights back off. The first time he was wandering around I assume looking for a toy to find. The second time he was sitting back in bed. So far he hasn't thrown any tantrums which compared to lately is already a great improvement at least for tonight :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM
2 moms liked this

No they would play and not sleep.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM
5 moms liked this

Yes there is.  No, they know that bedtime is NOT playtime. They would be in a LOT of trouble.

Mommaofalmost2
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM
3 moms liked this
Hmm.. idk. All my ds toys are in his room, and I have never had this problem. He has always been a wonderful sleeper though, getting him up in the morning is the hard part lol. I would suggest just keep checking on him and repeatedly put him back in bed until he stays there. Obviously haven't experienced this but its what I would try first before taking out all his toys! That seems like a bigger mess.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM
12 moms liked this

I guess that's a personal question for your house.  Personally, I don't worry about it.  Our kids have toys and I don't try to control silly little things like that.  We believe that once you move out of the crib, you are afforded some more freedom and, it's your room, your choices.  Our only rules after bedtime are 1) lights stay off and 2) you stay in your room.  Whatever you want to do in your room by the light of a night light is all on you.   Occasionally my son will build legos under his night light but, generally, they just roll around in bed for a while :)

Just my opinion but I think your hubby is caring about this too much. 

ashley9603
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

On one hand I say pick your battles....on the other hand is it disturbing his sleep?I have twin toddlers and there are some battles I am not fighting lol....toys are in there room,yes sometimes they play with them when they are supposed to be in bed.However it does not disrupt anyone's sleep and they are not cranky the next day.I guess it just depends on you the parents and what you want.

babygomez
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Yes, all of their belongings are in their rooms. We have zero issues. My daughter usually watches her portable dvd player in her bed before falling asleep. She can sleep with toys, but she is never up and playing with them.

My son sleeps in his crib in his room, so obviously no playing; he's out in about 10 minutes.

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:26 PM
This. We have the same rule for my son. Bedtime is lights out and stay in your room. Sometimes he does play a bit but most nights he just rolls over and goes to sleep

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I guess that's a personal question for your house.  Personally, I don't worry about it.  Our kids have toys and I don't try to control silly little things like that.  We believe that once you move out of the crib, you are afforded some more freedom and, it's your room, your choices.  Our only rules after bedtime are 1) lights stay off and 2) you stay in your room.  Whatever you want to do in your room by the light of a night light is all on you.   Occasionally my son will build legos under his night light but, generally, they just roll around in bed for a while :)

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Never had a problem with it 

mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

this exactly.. my 6 and 4 yo share a room, with toys.. if they spend 45 mins awake playing and talking.. they will just be tired the next day. as long as they only come out to potty/drink and NO screaming or fighting i dont really care what they do.. they have shared a room since ds2 was 9 mo too and the same rules then

Momma to three amazing boys! And in love with their amazing daddy! Living our untraditional life. Don't judge, we've made it this far and it works :)

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Toys in room? YES since they were babies.

Problems with them playing instead of sleeping? NO. None of the three of them, never.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN