Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Eating out

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM
  • 23 Replies
DS - 23 months - is a great eater when we are out....IF he just eats off of my plate or with shared food. If I get him his own meal, he barely eats anything.

Anyone else have a toddler like that?

Sunday we went out for sushi. DS ate 2 pieces of unagi roll, 2 pieces of a dragon roll, tempura (several pieces), miso soup (the whole bowl), rice, ginger, and some salad. I ordered a bento box & the 2 rolls to 'share' between us.

Today we went to in & out burger. Last time DS ate 1/2 my burger and all my fries (I had to order another one). Today I got him his own hamburger & fries. He ate a bunch of fries but there was so much left over I brought them home. He ate them for dessert tonight.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

YES!  And its totally noraml :).  Whatever you are eating is automatically more interesting, regardless of what they have LOL. 

HamBergerMama
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM

We don't eat out much because it is so stressful. Michael (18mo) likes to eat off my plate most but my older two have no problem eating thier own stuff. Usually though their appetities are still so small, that I order one meal and split it 3 ways. 

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM

We do get DS his own meals but we act like they are parts of our meal.  He would much rather eat off my plate than his own. 

When we are home DF and I just feed him from our plates and when we eat out we try to share what we can with him, but he does tend to eat all our food so we are trying to be sneaky with his food.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM

My kids share with each other. :)

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM
At home he is happy to be having the same thing as us plus more (he likes beans & a 'dip' at every meal). When we are out, even if its the same meal, he will only eat it if its shared!

Quoting Firenygirl180:

We do get DS his own meals but we act like they are parts of our meal.  He would much rather eat off my plate than his own. 

When we are home DF and I just feed him from our plates and when we eat out we try to share what we can with him, but he does tend to eat all our food so we are trying to be sneaky with his food.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Today I let him graze.  I took one of the divided plates and sliced half a banana in one spot, a handful of grapes in another and half a bagel with cream cheese in the other.  I gave it to him around 9am and I think he finished it around 1.  It took 4 hours but he ate it all and I think I may start feeding him like that at home from now on.  Dinner is a sit down meal with everyone though and he has to share with us.  The thing that occasionally works is when we make him a plate from our plates. 

Quoting collinsmommy0:

At home he is happy to be having the same thing as us plus more (he likes beans & a 'dip' at every meal). When we are out, even if its the same meal, he will only eat it if its shared!

Quoting Firenygirl180:

Mama_Dolly
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM

my ds is like that... if im eating it . he has to have it. I give him his own food. he wants nothing to do with it...

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM
DS is the same - total grazer during the day.

And anytime that its not 'meal time'.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

Today I let him graze.  I took one of the divided plates and sliced half a banana in one spot, a handful of grapes in another and half a bagel with cream cheese in the other.  I gave it to him around 9am and I think he finished it around 1.  It took 4 hours but he ate it all and I think I may start feeding him like that at home from now on.  Dinner is a sit down meal with everyone though and he has to share with us.  The thing that occasionally works is when we make him a plate from our plates. 

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Quoting Firenygirl180:

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

My daughter was like that. Only wanted to eat what her daddy was eating. No big deal.

tifbrown
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM

To combat that problem I have my girls share a kids meal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)