Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Melatonin

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:45 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

Has any one ever given their toddler melatonin to get them to sleep through the night? I want any and all thoughts: good and bad. I am planning on talking to her pediatrician about it as well. My daughter is 2 years old and doesn't sleep through the night... wakes up multiple times a night and I am pregnant and exhausted. Thanks!

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
inmybizz
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I have never used it. 

babie113
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Not unless I'm flying with him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdoptingMommy
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Melaronin does NOT make them sleep through the night, It helps them go ro sleep. We use it for my dd's hospital stays bc she hates all the ppl & needles so it helps her relax & sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rhodin
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:25 AM

ODD usually sleeps through the night, but there's a sippy of water in her room, a few books and quiet toys for her to play with, and she can leave the room if she feels the need to go potty (she rarely wakes up for that, though).  Basically, I've set it up so that for the most part, she doesn't need to fetch me at night.  She's almost 3, not really night potty trained, and that's worked for us since she was about 18 months.

EvilAsh
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter's problem was staying asleep, and it does help her. It calms her down enough to where she's rested and calm the whole night.

Quoting AdoptingMommy:

Melaronin does NOT make them sleep through the night, It helps them go ro sleep. We use it for my dd's hospital stays bc she hates all the ppl & needles so it helps her relax & sleep.

CafeMom Tickers
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I started giving it to my 3 year old. Well, she's 4 now. 

She would have such a hard time falling asleep and she and her sister share a room. She'd keep her up all night and it wasn't fair to either of them. I was against "drugging" my kids so early, but you know what? It helps! It helps both of my girls get a good night's sleep.

I'm not sure in your case, just because you're tired and have a 2 year old that doesn't sleep through the night, it's a good idea... my personal opinion... I'm pregnant and exhausted too, but I wouldn't jump to meds for my children because of that.

mama_heather
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Well, I have created some bad habits (no judgements please)... My daughter sleeps in our bed and wakes up at night to get a drink of milk and then goes back to sleep. It's not like she is waking for hours on end or anything. And as long as she doesn't take a nap during the day she falls asleep really quickly at night. I just wish she would sleep through the night without waking up so often for a drink of milk that I have to get her because even though it's right there she won't look for it. Really I need to suck it up and get her out of my bed somehow haha.... okay, well I will talk with her pediatrician and see what she recommends..

_OcToBeRbAbY_
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I have the same problem with my 2 year old dd. The only way she will go to sleep and pretty much stay asleep is if she is in the bed with me. She refuses to sleep in her own bed and wakes up all hours screaming and crying :/ I know how you feel and it is very exhausting. I hope you get the answer you are looking for!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama_heather
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I am also against "drugging" children. That's why I was wondering about melatonin since it's all natural and is something our bodies already produce. I'm not just thinking about it because I'm tired... My daughter needs a good nights sleep, too.

mama_heather
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM

This sounds just like my little girl! She will fall asleep in her own bed but wakes up constantly wanting me. If she is in bed with me, she still wakes up but it's less often and since I am so tired I give in. (not the right thing to do, I know)

Quoting _OcToBeRbAbY_:

I have the same problem with my 2 year old dd. The only way she will go to sleep and pretty much stay asleep is if she is in the bed with me. She refuses to sleep in her own bed and wakes up all hours screaming and crying :/ I know how you feel and it is very exhausting. I hope you get the answer you are looking for!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)