Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do you restrict/limit screen time for your LOs?

Posted by   + Show Post

I do not.  Our TV is on all day but they mostly play in their rooms or in the living room.  I would if it ever became a problem though, like sitting in front of the TV all day lol.

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
sfank
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM

My daughter only watches TV if she's sick or at grandma's house. She's only 17 months though so she doesn't really care.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:53 PM

no, we are like you.  we have it on all day when we are home and inside.  for example, right now it's gorgeous and ds and dh are doing yard work and dd is about to have a nap so it's off.  i always said i'd make a change if tantrums started over leaving mid-show but they are always happier to do anything else so it's never been an issue. 

we do limit Kindle and iPad because we use those for trips out of the house when we need them distracted.  we don't let the use them much at home cuz we don't want them sick of them :)

HamBergerMama
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM
I try to limit as much as possible, though being 38 weeks has thwarted that a bit
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katinahat
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Yes, but it's pretty qualitative. I just don't leave it on all day-- maybe 3 or 4 hours total? And most of that is background, while she's running around doing something else. I've just read too many studies on screentime limiting a young child's ability to perceive and think to let her watch too much of it.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Yes. TV or iPad/iPhone time with me is maybe 1-2 hours per week. And that's because I'm sick & pregnant.

DH, however, does not, so DS is now watching TV or doing the iPad with him an hour or so a day.
inmybizz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Technology is great but it's so easy for children to spend many hrs with these handheld devices.  

Quoting PEEK05:

I will limit time on those too but right now, my kids haven't been introduced to any of that so it doesn't apply here yet. :P

Quoting inmybizz:

No. My daughter doesn't watch much TV. I do however restrict time spent on technology(computer/ipod/ipad/games)

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I do not either.  They kind of limit thier own time LOL.  They'd rather be playing outside nad since the weather has been fantastic they have been spending every waking hour outside :)

sumannie
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I try to limit them to a couple to3 hours a day. Sometimes their daddy has them watch it all day and they super hyped up before bed so its a pain. But usually I just let them watch tv when I need to get something done.

mom2kortni
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:54 AM
This.

Quoting inmybizz:

No. My daughter doesn't watch much TV. I do however restrict time spent on technology(computer/ipod/ipad/games)

MarylandMom123
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I only turn the TV on while DD is sleeping. I'd much rather she be doing active things! However when I'm out of the house a few evenings a week working, I know DH has sports on TV and she likes to watch basketball. I personally don't want my attention taken away from her because the TV is on in the background. I much prefer to have music on. As she gets older I definitely plan to limit all technology time. You need to find a happy medium - you can't restrict everything, or they'll start to be sneaky. However, it's not appropriate for kids to sit around all day and watch TV/play video games. Gotta find a balance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)