Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice Needed: Would a half day home based PreK program with a...

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:32 AM
  • 9 Replies

Would a half day home based PreK program with a small student teacher ratio 6:1 be benefical to moms ?

Thinking of starting a Preschool in my home, but I need to make sure there is a demand and this is something that would benefit moms. I see it as a cheaper alternative to full time daycare and would allow children half a day with mom or grandma etc. while providing them the social skill they need and prepare them for Kindergarten transition. Any suggestions from moms? positives or negatives to this idea I haven't considered?

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I would guess there would be a market for it as long as your credentials and vision are in line with potential students and their families.  We attend a half day Montessori program with a 6:1 ratio (12 students, 2 teachers -- some of the kids are full day)  The school is a converted house so feels very much like a home based school.  It's the best money we have spent.  Our 6 year old is doing amazing in public K after completing 2 years at the school and our 3 1/2 year old is already working on her phonics!

I would say to just have your vision clearly articulated so parents understand why your program would be a worthwhile alternative to 1) being with them or 2) another local program.  I think a lot of people have the idea that kids don't learn anything in preschool and it's all about social stuff.  I vehemently disagree with that statement and think people must just be exposed to some crappy programs. 

Good luck!!!!!

SherryContrary
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much for the inspiration. I will research the credentials needed. I have already looked into state licensing issues and I have a 5 month plan to get it up and running, including curriculum, start up costs, marketing etc. I dont want to quit my full time corporate job before I reasearch the market, naturally.I am currently working on a degree in early childhood education which will take me a few more years to complete. I have always had this dream to be a part of making a difference in the lives of children and their families. This is serious to me. I dont want to be a baby sitter. I want to be a fresh option for parents who want the best for their kids. I know I will be be blessed by the dedication to what I believe in. I have older kids. One attended full time daycare and cried all day for weeks. One attended 1/2 day preschool at a school (not home-based) and he did a little better. But I often think of how much of a blessing it would have been to find an individual that i trusted to provide the same education in a smaller atmosphere with more one on one attention.

HamBergerMama
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I think it sounds Ike a good idea! Definitely make sure you have credentials/certifications all lined up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Sounds good to me, but I probably wouldnt use it. My DS goes to full day preschool 2 days a week so I can work as a substitute teacher those two days. A half day wouldnt do me any good personally. And as far as socialization goes, there are plenty of other things I can do with him for free. But I think there are definitely some moms out there who would go for that kind of thing.

RobynS
by Robyn on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM

It sounds like a good idea to me! :)

legobaby
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I personally wouldn't use it. I know some people disagree, but I would rather have my kid at a school with multiple teachers and more adults around. It feels safer to me.

My kids stay home with me right now, but we are putting my almost four year old in a preschool program starting either this summer or fall.

Do you have a huge house that would accommodate several age groups? Are you wanting to employ a couple of additional people? I would think about people who might have a two year old and also a four year ok they want to send. Do you have the space and resources o accommodate that?

If it was a really great, highly recommended, well organized program, I might consider a home-based one.
legobaby
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I saw after my first reply that you said pre-k not preschool, so I'm assuming just four year olds? I know a lot of my SAHM friends like to send their younger ones too just to get them out of the house for a bit and to socialize. So it might be inconvenient for those people who want a one-stop drop off. Personally, I'm not sending my littler one yet. I just can't justify the expense until at least age 3 or 4.
legobaby
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I saw after my first reply that you said pre-k not preschool, so I'm assuming just four year olds? I know a lot of my SAHM friends like to send their younger ones too just to get them out of the house for a bit and to socialize. So it might be inconvenient for those people who want a one-stop drop off. Personally, I'm not sending my littler one yet. I just can't justify the expense until at least age 3 or 4.
SherryContrary
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Thanks for all your input everyone. I do have adult helpers who will be with me on occasion but not every day. I also was thinking of accepting children 2 1/2 - 4 years old. Parents will be invited to tour my home and discuss curriculum and daily schedule etc. In Texas a registered home is subject to inspection at any time and has minimum standards to uphold to keep a licence. I also plan to advertise by word of mouth. A recommendation from a friend usually means a great deal to parents. I know this won't be easy but if it meets the needs of a few families then I think it will be worth it. Wish me luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)