Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

bed time

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM
  • 22 Replies
So what about bed time, how does everyone get their say 3yr old to lay down at night. Mine puts up a fight every night
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyofnoah208
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Routine routine! My son will still fight it some. But you just have to stick to it, do a routine, give a warning that its almost time and after the getting ready for bed routine sit with him. Read a book and say goodnight. Good luck!
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

my kids have never fought bedtime.  it's just never been up for debate.  our routine has always been the same and they just know it's lights out time.  with that said, we also are pretty relaxed in our rules.  once they left the crib we allow them to get up if they want.  our rules are 1) lights stay off and 2) you stay in your room.  whatever you can do by the light of a night light is all on you.  i won't play the "get back in bed" game.  they rarely do anything after bedtime other than rolling around in their beds.   what i believe is that just because I say it's bedtime doesn't mean they are totally ready to shut down.  i know that there are nights where i don't just go right to sleep and they are no different.  as long as they follow our 2 rules, they get to control how they wind down before sleeping. 

MrsWhite101610
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM
My dd is 3. We tell her at about 8 to clean her room if it needs to be cleaned, then she changes herself to pjs and is tucked into bed with a book and movie at 9
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KJH78
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

My 3 yr old likes for me to pat her to sleep. I've found that the first 5-10 minutes she's in her bed she is squirmy so I tell her I need to go get in my pajamas and she has to stay in her bed, but I will return in a few minutes and pat her. It works for us...I went to pat her tonight and it took all of 2 minutes and she was out. I also tell her that if she gets out of bed she will not have any tv time tomorrow....she doesn't get a lot so she wants the time she does get so for her that's her currency so it works in getting her to stay put. Now of course we're to where we are b/c we first tested that and did lose tv time the next day....now she has learned and it works. So if you try it know he/she will test it and lose once to see that you are serious so that will be a rough night, but if it's something that is important to him/her your words will mean more the next time you tell him/her to stay in bed.

trystenMom3
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM
That is one suggestion I have not heard. I may have to try that, my thing is he probably won't stay in his room
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM

my dd still has a knob cover on her door.  oddly enough she's never even tried to get past it and she's over 3 1/2 :)  once my son learned to get it off, we put a gate in his door.

itsm3
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

this. 

remember that kids will ALWAYS fight bedtime...why wouldn't they?  they'd much rather stay up and play/hang out with mommy and daddy than go to sleep which in their mind, is way boring.

but, remember that like healthy eating habits you want to instill in them, healthy sleep habits are equally as important.  so be firm! rountine is very important.  make routine something they look forward to.  my dd's routine starts around 630pm and she loves the story time before bed. we read a couple of books all cuddled and snuggled up in her bed and then it's lights out at 715pm.  sometimes she tries to fight it but we're very firm with bedtime and she knows the drill.

Quoting mommyofnoah208:

Routine routine! My son will still fight it some. But you just have to stick to it, do a routine, give a warning that its almost time and after the getting ready for bed routine sit with him. Read a book and say goodnight. Good luck!

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM
My dd, 3.5 is in bed and quiet by 8pm. She never fights bedtime but if she's not feeling well she will cry for me to stay with her.
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM

At a young age we would just lay them down and they would put themselves to sleep. Yes every know and then we have issues. What kids doesn't.

xoxRachelxox
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM

We have a bedtime routine. They know it's time to calm down when we go up to brush teeth, get jammies on and read a story. We say our goodnight and walk out of the room. They know they're not allowed to get out of bed. 

We don't have any toys in their room except the one toy or stuffed animal they take to bed with them. They can play with them, as long as they're in their bed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)