Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Violent 15 month old? Is this normal?!

Is anyone having problems with their LO being borderline violent? When DS throws tantrums he will start hitting himself in the head and banging his head against whatever is near, the wall, the TV stand, his chair, me. Whatever is handy. He is also bad about biting, pinching, scratching and hitting when he's mad. The past few days he has been trying to poke my eyes and when he was throwing a tantrum today he put a hand on each of my temple and put his thumbs on my eyes and tried to push like he wanted to gouge my eyes out! I asked my mom and she said to ask his doctor at his next appointment (in two weeks). So I'll be sure to be talking about it then, but until then, I need reassurance. Did anyone else have problems like this? even with your older LO's, did they turn out ok? Was it just a phase or should I be worried? I honestly don't know where he comes up with some of this behavior. He's sweet as pie when he's happy but when he's mad or tired he turns into a demon baby that I can't control. I've tried time outs, swats on the butt (as a last resort), ignoring it, soothing him...I just don't know what to do! Is this normal or what? I'm a first timer.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Replies (21-22):
Mac4411
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:44 PM

This could be about my child except she's a little older. I want to say it started about 18-20 months and we are still going through it ( she just turned 2) Most of the time she is sweet and gentle but when she's in a mood, well thats it. She will scream non stop, hit, bite, bang her head, throw things. She has hurt me and herself. Nothing will soothe her. The car is where it happens the most. I have tried everything suggested above and more, except spanking and nothing has worked. My pediatrician says it is normal behavior, but a bad habit behavior. She believes it comes from frustration and wanting attention. She talked to the other peds in her practice and because of the extreme nature of dd's behavior suggested keeping suckers in the car and telling dd if you don't hit or bite all the way to fill in the blank then you get a sucker. Day 2 and it's only worked 1 out of 4 times. I'd be interested if you did find anything that worked better that didn't include me trying to bribe my child into not hurting herself.

twiztidmommy84
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:22 AM
My kids did that too I know its horrible to watch but if you talk to him calmly and let him know that you love him but not the behavior he will get past it try not to resort to hitting that really just shows them its ok to hit if you get frustrated enough I hope it goes smooth for you
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN