Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Having to readjust my own thinking....

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:29 AM
  • 14 Replies
I apologize in advance for the lack of editing, for some reason when I add a new post it doesn't offer me editing options. DSS is 5, and has been an only child at our house... (I was a foster parent to 4 siblings at one point in time but that was years ago) and recently we've gained guardianship of X (DSS's younger brother) who happens to be thriving in the Tiresome Three's... My brain was set to parent a 5 year old, it's not like having a baby and raising them to be 3, this is totally different, I had actually forgotten (until yesterday) that 3 year olds still nap in the afternoon, I've forgotten what we should be learning... I'm working on remembering and developing a schedule that works for us, but wow I truly had forgotten what a difference those two years can make on a young child... I'm glad it didn't take me long to remember most of it. Wish me luck, and I welcome advice!
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariesmama
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM
some 3 yr olds dont nap mine doesnt
Tryshx
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

DSS didn't either honestly, but he did have a "rest time" where he had to read or watch a movie for a while quietly he didn't have to go to sleep unless he wanted to.

Quoting mariesmama:

some 3 yr olds dont nap mine doesnt

piwife
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I guess I miss the memo 3 yr olds nap.... as for learning if you have a computer starfalla.com is great. Also get some chalk and let him color in the drive way, print outs, flash cards all that stuff
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Well it has been a couple years since I have had a 3 year old.. good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Wishing you luck!!  But I doubt you'll need it, it may have taken you a little bit to readjust for both of you.. but you sound like you know what needs to be done to help that three year old thrive and are welcoming and love, and open to it!  So while I'll wish you luck, I also want to more express  kudos to you ;)

PEEK05
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck. :)

Tryshx
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Nap was the wrong word... Rest time would be the better phrase.  Three year olds tire easily after a long hard day of playing and usually need some down time in the early afternoon so they don't get moody.

Quoting piwife:

I guess I miss the memo 3 yr olds nap.... as for learning if you have a computer starfalla.com is great. Also get some chalk and let him color in the drive way, print outs, flash cards all that stuff

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Welcome to the group!  You will find your schedule, but it can take time!  Just don't do anythign suddenly as it may cause disruption, but if you start noticing trends (he gets tired at a certain time) then you can start to frame your schedule around that :)

Good luck!!!

Tryshx
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Quoting corrinacs:

Welcome to the group!  You will find your schedule, but it can take time!  Just don't do anythign suddenly as it may cause disruption, but if you start noticing trends (he gets tired at a certain time) then you can start to frame your schedule around that :)

Good luck!!!

Not new to the group, joined about a year ago, I stay quiet a lot though unless I can offer some experience, I joined last January when DH and I got custody of DSS. Thank you for the welcome though. I was just expressing that I needed to start thinking about a 3 year olds needs again, which are very different than a 5 year olds and that I was glad that I realized it when I did.
kygoodsell89
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:04 AM

i totally understand.. my 2 almost 3 yr old acts EXACTLY like my 4 almost 5 yr old. and sometimes i just forget he needs different things, i know thats awful but he is a very advanced little one so i forget how young he is most of the time. sometimes we have a very busy and full day and when he's just a crankpot im like WTH where is my happy little boy.. and then i remember ... OH he might need a bit of a nap today, we did a LOT...

it'll come back to ya! its like riding a bike, you never truly forget! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)