• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leo's Assessment

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Leo had his assessment yesterday to determine if he qualified for county services regarding his feeding issues.

The good news: yes, he does indeed qualify.  He was starting to open to new foods and I didn't want him to fall out of thier scope for help....because I know it will be a long time before he would try new foods!

They did test him in all areas and he just boggled thier minds!  Otherwise, he's functioning as an 18-21 month old!!!  Not bad for a 16.5 month old (adjusted age due to prematurity 15.5 months).  Cognitively, he's at nearly 24 months!!!!  I was staggered by that!  They said his problem solving skills are advanced as well as his imitation skills (the ability to learn how to do something after being shown).

Now, we have our plans to help him along with his feeding issues.  They did notice (even though he didn't eat much there) that he did chew on everything a certain way which would indicate a sensory disorder in his mouth (I never would have picked up on it).

So, in a couple of weeks we are going to start treatment with a speech therapist!  They will work with me about twice a month.  I will let you know how ti goes step by step!!!

Such a relief!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Cate1129
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Glad you got some answers!! Good luck with the Speech Therapy!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Beenhereforever
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Interesting. My ds who is moving along just fine had this one issue.. He doesn't like to eat much.. He will chew things but things like meat he will keep in his cheeks..
corrinacs
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

That's exactly what they noticed and "chipmunking" as its called.....is one of the symptoms of an oral sensory motor disorder!  If its bothering his everyday life, I'd look into it!

Quoting Beenhereforever:

Interesting. My ds who is moving along just fine had this one issue.. He doesn't like to eat much.. He will chew things but things like meat he will keep in his cheeks..

mariesmama
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

if he's imitating that well learn sign language my daughter didnt start talking till almost 3 and she's getting to be more understandable by the day

Beenhereforever
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Thank you!! I will

Quoting corrinacs:

That's exactly what they noticed and "chipmunking" as its called.....is one of the symptoms of an oral sensory motor disorder!  If its bothering his everyday life, I'd look into it!

Quoting Beenhereforever:

corrinacs
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM

We have been doing that :) :).  He's finally learned "all done".....which used to consist him throwing his bottle, cup and/or food all over teh floor LOL.  Now he says all done.

And "more" too.  He does say some MMMMMm's for more, which is good :).

Quoting mariesmama:

if he's imitating that well learn sign language my daughter didnt start talking till almost 3 and she's getting to be more understandable by the day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)