Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long is to long?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 18 Replies

Im babysitting a 4 year old. his mom brought tacos for him to eat and told me she wants him to eat two, and he his hungrey. Well now hes msitting st the tabel refusing to eat evin one. So I told him hes gonna sit there till there gone. Its been an hour. Should I let him up or stick to my guns?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM

after an hour of not eating i put my kids to bed. babysittimg....no clue. sorry

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM
2 moms liked this

honestly, i would let him up.  if he's  not hungry, he's not hungry.  if they are close friends or family you can just tell her he wasn't hungry.  if you don't know them well, maybe text her and ask her what she wants you to do.  i hate it when people try to force their kids to eat but it's not your child so i know you are in a tough spot. 

i would just ask her if you worry about her being mad.

MissyMegs
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

honestly, i would let him up.  if he's  not hungry, he's not hungry.  if they are close friends or family you can just tell her he wasn't hungry.  if you don't know them well, maybe text her and ask her what she wants you to do.  i hate it when people try to force their kids to eat but it's not your child so i know you are in a tough spot. 

i would just ask her if you worry about her being mad.

This :) best answer really.. 

New2011Mom1991
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Ask the parent what they want you to do. I mean I would just let him go, and maybe he doesn't like them. My daughter used to like certain things and now when I try to get her to eat it she refuses.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM

You should of never done that in the first place.  Why in the world would anyone ever try and force a child to eat?  

Monkeymama930
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I do the no thank you bite. I say take one bite then say no thank you and you can leave. That way they have tried it and that's it's.
---terrah---
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM

No offense, but depending on the child, two tacos can be a lot. My 5 year old wouldn't even finish one. There is no way that he'd ever get through 2. Since it's not your child, I'd let him up and just let him know that he can't have any snacks. To me, making a child sit for an hour is wayyyy too long. No child should ever be forced to eat....especially that much at one time!

kailu1835
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM

So what we have here is a classic battle for control here.  You shouldn't have let it get to this point in the first place.  Now that you started it, you have to stick to your guns.  Ideally, you would have told him that this is what he has to eat.  If he is hungry, he can eat this.  If he's not hungry, that's okay, go play.  That way it puts the control firmly in his hands where it belongs.  You can't control what goes down his tummy, you can only control what food is available to be eaten.

brittany208
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't make him sit at all. If he's not hungry, he's not hungry. He's not getting anything else... but I wouldnt make him sit

auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM
I agree

Quoting brittany208:

I wouldn't make him sit at all. If he's not hungry, he's not hungry. He's not getting anything else... but I wouldnt make him sit

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)