Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Need new eczema recommendations

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM
  • 34 Replies

My son has eczema on his knees constantly.  We usually can tame it with a combo of coconut oil and lotions and oatmeal baths, with the rare use of prescribed steroid creams for the worse cases.

Our routine used to work so well and now it's not doing anything for his eczema, so I feel like I am constantly using the steroid cream, and I don't want to since there are risks of overuse.  So I'm in the market of looking for new solutions to eczema so we can stop using the steroid cream as often.

Thanks! :)

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KJH78
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I would recommend finding a local health food/herbal store and see what they would suggest.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM
We have found using dove soap is helping a ton! Ive heard it also can be linked to certain food allergies, maybe limiting those foods may help control it a bit better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Yeah, he can't have things with pits in them (avocado, olives, cherries, peaches, plums, etc.).  His eczema flares up in more spots and is worse and starts to bleed.  He's still left with the patches on his knees though. :(

Quoting lillucky8:

We have found using dove soap is helping a ton! Ive heard it also can be linked to certain food allergies, maybe limiting those foods may help control it a bit better.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Hmm, ive heard it can be related to milk or wheat allergies, but i dont know alot about it. I think ds has it but his pedi wouldnt see him for it (whole long story) so hes going in for a shot friday and shes going to look at it then and hopefully dx it.

Quoting PEEK05:

Yeah, he can't have things with pits in them (avocado, olives, cherries, peaches, plums, etc.).  His eczema flares up in more spots and is worse and starts to bleed.  He's still left with the patches on his knees though. :(

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM

He has been tested for all that so now it's just kind of a guessing game. Im glad we figured out the worst ones though! They would even tear his poor little bottom up with lacerations and stuff.

Quoting lillucky8:

Hmm, ive heard it can be related to milk or wheat allergies, but i dont know alot about it. I think ds has it but his pedi wouldnt see him for it (whole long story) so hes going in for a shot friday and shes going to look at it then and hopefully dx it.

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting lillucky8:

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww, poor lil guy. My friends dd has it and she uses dove soap, vaseline, and switched to all free and clear detergent and no dryer sheet for her dds clothes. Thats what her derm told her to do

Quoting PEEK05:

He has been tested for all that so now it's just kind of a guessing game. Im glad we figured out the worst ones though! They would even tear his poor little bottom up with lacerations and stuff.

Quoting lillucky8:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Thanks. :)

We use an all natural soap and haven't used dryer sheets or anything in the dryer in years. I will try the soap and vaseline though and see if it will help.

Quoting lillucky8:

Aww, poor lil guy. My friends dd has it and she uses dove soap, vaseline, and switched to all free and clear detergent and no dryer sheet for her dds clothes. Thats what her derm told her to do

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting lillucky8:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting lillucky8:

mommyneedssleep
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM
My daughter uses cetaphil!! They have body wash and lotion. No dyes or anything and it clears her up pretty good and helps keep it away
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maria1613
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM
I had bad eczema and they told me i could aquafor(sp?) . It's some product intended for infants /toddlers not for eczema but they said it workd really well
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM
I think they have a sensitive kind also which prob would have even less chemically stuff

Quoting PEEK05:

Thanks. :)

We use an all natural soap and haven't used dryer sheets or anything in the dryer in years. I will try the soap and vaseline though and see if it will help.

Quoting lillucky8:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting lillucky8:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)