Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I be worried?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 8 Replies
At what age should a child be talking clearly. I have my sweet little niece over she will be 3 in June and I noticed that she says very few words but babbles and grunts a lot. I'm sure its nothing to be worried about but I'm concerned about my pumpkin.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

my dd is 3 and 8+ months and I feel like just over the last 3-5 months is she REALLY talking in coherent sentences.  she's been verbal for a long time but now she's really conversational. 

Mommy_Tate
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Ok so it sounds like its no biggie. I know every child learns at their on pace. She sounds like she is full of suprises :-)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

my dd is 3 and 8+ months and I feel like just over the last 3-5 months is she REALLY talking in coherent sentences.  she's been verbal for a long time but now she's really conversational. 

Newfie_Mom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Some kids talk earlier than others especially those who have older siblings or are in daily public settings like daycare or play groups.

My son speaks but not that much. I had his hearing checked about a year ago because I was so worried about how long it took him to talk and how little he does. Turns out he is just a thoughtful kid. Some kids jut don't talk that much.
momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I wouldnt worry about it.My kids didnt really talk until about 2 1/2-3.

freedommoments
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM
If she is 3 and does not speak clearly it might not yet be necessary to be concerned but I will say that it is much easier for the child to get evaluated and receive help while younger. Speech will effect her as she gets older and her ability to read and write.

My older child has some speech issues and we took a wait and see approach instead of opting for an evaluation. It makes it hard for her when it comes to reading and especially writing.

My younger is almost 3 and speaks pretty clear, though both kids seem to be a bit more advanced in verbal skills compared to other kids.

Some suggestions are reading lots of stories, singing lots of songs and asking her lots of questions. Also give her words to repeat back when she needs or wants something.
Poisongirl98
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM
By that age she should be talking in 3-4 word phrases and by age 3, people who aren't around her often should understand her about 80% of the time. To me it sounds like she's a little behind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM

She could be a little behind. I'm not sure though.

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I'm not sure. Is she closer to 3 than 4? If so it might be nothing and she may start talking more soon, but if she is closer to 4 she might be behind.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)