Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diaper rash/wipe allergy...help please?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM
  • 18 Replies

DD has never had a real diaper rash, only the occasional red bump or two and they have never been itchy or sore and so now that I find myself with a DD with sore, itchy, oozing red bumps on her labia I have no idea what to do. I am going to take her to the doctor but they can't fit me in until Friday so I was trying to see if you ladies had any remedies I could use until then. I'm not absolutely sure what caused it but I think she may have had a reaction to her wipes-I usually get fragrance-free but we had to get lightly scented because they were out of fragrance-free, and I think she broke out from them. I've stopped using them as of two days ago but the rash just keeps getting worse. She's 26 months old and I've never had to treat a diaper rash before. I've been putting Aquaphor and Desitin on her but she needs something else. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Update 4/4/12 The doctor found room in her schedule to see DD today instead of tomorrow so we'll be getting a script sooner than expected! :)

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bpryce
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Coconut oil. It will work and its anti bacterial. Also let her go diaper free as much as you can. I'd start using wash cloths and water as wipes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheartAH
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a yeast infection to me (very common in little girls). The doctor will most likely prescribe u Nyastatin cream but our doc has always recommended Lotrimin (the over the counter athletes foot cream) applied externally 2x per day. Also have you been airing it out at all? Let her go diaper free for awhile first and see if that helps.
JTE11
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Thank you! Where do I get the oil- do they sell it in pharmacies?

Quoting bpryce:

Coconut oil. It will work and its anti bacterial. Also let her go diaper free as much as you can. I'd start using wash cloths and water as wipes.

JTE11
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM

It may very well be a yeast infection, now that the skin is broken. I haven't let her air it out-we have carpet everywhere and she'd be peeing and pooping all over my house. I could possibly gate her in the kitchen for a half hour or so, though. Thanks :)

Quoting TheartAH:

Sounds like a yeast infection to me (very common in little girls). The doctor will most likely prescribe u Nyastatin cream but our doc has always recommended Lotrimin (the over the counter athletes foot cream) applied externally 2x per day. Also have you been airing it out at all? Let her go diaper free for awhile first and see if that helps.

bpryce
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM
You'll find it in either the pharmacy section or the baking/cooking aisle.

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bpryce:

ilovemyboys84
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Also make sure its unrefined pure coconut oil

Quoting bpryce:

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bpryce:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Thank you!

Quoting bpryce:

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bpryce:

JTE11
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Thanks! I wouldn't have known that.

Quoting ilovemyboys84:

Also make sure its unrefined pure coconut oil

Quoting bpryce:

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bpryce:

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Coconut oil. If it yeast it will even clear that up. If you think it was the wipes i wouldn't ise them anymore. Hope it gets better soon.
JTE11
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! And I have already tossed out the wipes, they were useless.

Quoting .Angelica.:

Coconut oil. If it yeast it will even clear that up. If you think it was the wipes i wouldn't ise them anymore. Hope it gets better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)