Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

14 month old very violent

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM
  • 16 Replies
My 14 month old son, when something makes him mad or upset he throws himself back hits and punches anything in site. no matter how much i redirect him or tell him no he becomes worse. I'm a somewhat of a single mommy, his dad is in out of his life. Guy I'm seeing he try's spend time with him. I don't know because I'm 80% of the time mom and dad or and because he doesn't have that male figure or what. Please help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommieCotter42
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Not sure but her is a Bump
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Does he get attention for the behavior?  Kids do what works.  If it doesn't work, they seek a new option.  if you give him attention during the tantrums, stop.   If you worry about his safety, put him in the crib.  If not, walk away until he's calmed down.  Once he stops getting a payoff for his behavior he'll try something else.  Consistency is key.

xsmommy12
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I didn't think about that. I give him more attention when he throws those fits because I feel sorry for him. Thank you so much
katinahat
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM
2 moms liked this

I would put him somewhere safe and ignore him until he pauses for a few moments. When he pauses, pick him up, kiss him, hug him, and love on him. Shower him in attention for positive behavior, but do not reward his negative behavior with attention. That would be my advice, anyway.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
bump
PEEK05
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Just stay consistent with what you do.  He's at the age where they are learning that this is not okay.

aimesnyc
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM

They start to hit out of frustration at that age.  What I did was tell my son "no" after the first hit, and if he did it again, walked away and ignored him until he calmed down (so hitting mommy means he loses mommy priviledges).  Then told him "we don't hit, etc" in a calm voice once he was done.  You have to be consistent.   

Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It is because he is at an age where he is overwhelmed by emotions and has no tools and language to appropriately express them.  

Give him love and patience.  Direct him towards better choices and realize that this too shall pass.

BestestMom11
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM
This.

My dd was very much as the OP described at that age. When she realized that she wasn't going to get any attention, she quit. It was only a matter of a few weeks too.

Quoting katinahat:

I would put him somewhere safe and ignore him until he pauses for a few moments. When he pauses, pick him up, kiss him, hug him, and love on him. Shower him in attention for positive behavior, but do not reward his negative behavior with attention. That would be my advice, anyway.

lamoreux
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM

i have a biter shes almost 2, i am prob not much helf but maybe time outs every time it happens you need to find the focal point of the anger and change the way of this aggression. He may grow out of it but time outs are a must you are the boss and he needs to realize that and calm down in a correct manner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)