Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

BE HONEST: Have you ever researched vaccines or do you just do your own thing?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM
  • 40 Replies

I never researched them with my first. In fact, I flat out refused to listen to anything about them and just did what you were "supposed" to.  It wasn't until I was pregnant with my second that I actually went out and did my research and then decided what I wanted to do with him and my future children.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ATG499
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM
I've done research here and there, but it's all so overwhelming that I kinda give up. Plus, IDK what to believe. So, for right now, Adrian is fully vaccinated as per the usual schedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes. Especially after DS started having reactions. (that was over 8 years ago)

I don't even think I could count the number of hours I've spent researching. My old boss (doctor H) used to give me everything he got and found. I'm so thankful for him because he was the one that cared and pulled his files. He said hay, your child is having reactions. DS ped tried covering it up. DS may not be here if it wasn't for him.

DD has not had any vaccines, DS will not have anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Denisethedaring
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually, I used to work for vaccine manufacturers...so I can't say I ever set OUT to research them, but I know a fair amount about them, how they're studied, how they're made and how they work simply from experience.  Note:  All three of my children are fully vaccinated, on schedule.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM

no, i don't research vaccines, generally.  i did research the chicken pox vaccine and chose to NOT give it to my son at the scheduled time.  he got it last summer before K.   we also waited on the MMR until he was 2 because there was still that autism controversy.   my dd has had all her vaccines at their scheduled times.  i planned to hold off on chicken pox but forgot until after they gave it to her!  oh well.

OakesMama
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I did not with my 1st, when he had reactions I thought oh well too late now. With my second though he started having seizures and stop breathing needing CPR for the 6 days following his shots the Dr's freaked out said they won't do them anymore that it was the vaccines, I started researching then and had lots of help. Now we don't do them at all with any of them. I am still dealing with the affects of the vaccines with the first 2.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I did research them, but I did avoid reading any "blogs" because I know many "bloggers" and they usually aren't that versed in the medical field (unless they have the degrees to prove it anyway LOL).

When my first son was born, I was still in college, so I had free access to many scientific resources at my college's library.  I did a lot of research on my downtime about it!

I figured it was better safe than sorry.  The liklihood of him catching these diseases are high because of where we live (DC.....everyone from around the world visits here and its really crowded).  We have had many diseases crop up here as a result, like Pertusis.

My son did have a severe allergic reaction to some vaccines, but we learned it was because he's allergic to eggs.  So we avoid all vaccines containing those ingredients.  So far so good.

I did learn some pretty nasty things about chicken pox (really any of the pox family diseases) in regards to those with asthma, alelrgies and excema.  Also, pregnant women....chicken pox can cause still birth in mothers who have not been exposed.  I was in that boat and I was told to be SUPER CAREFUL!

But, the research continues :).

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I went by what they recommended but when DD got so very sick and sore after her two-month shots I started staggering them. I didn't like that she was getting three and four shots per visit so based on her reaction I slowed down the schedule so she wasn't getting more than two per visit (and if it was a mulit-vax it was only one). And then I got curious to see if anyone else was doing that and that's when I got online. So yes I did research but not until after I decided to change the schedule on my own. I'm still going with vaccinations for now but I do still tweak the schedule.

xoxRachelxox
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

No I haven't but I do trust my childrens doctor. 

LACHESIS
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM

With my first no. Second and third, yes. Plus I talked to our doctor as well, a lot. I did select vaxxing and I did not push them all together.  No chicken pox vaccination (plus both kids have had it), I am not sure on the gardi-something one. I have time. Right now I am just not sure. 

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I did do research and chose to have them both vaccinated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)