Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

preschoolers

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 5 Replies

what do your presschoolers learn a bout in school? shouldn't they be learning numbers and letters and what sounds the letters make? my kids don't know this stuff even though it is required to start kindergarten. they are learning what stars and planets are made of. ask them about the water cycle they can tell you the whole thing but ask them to say the alphebet? nope i teach them at home as well... we have mommy school because they say their teacher doesn't do it that way, i say im not her. but the only stuff they need to know to start kindergarten they learned from me. what the heck?

Wendy Wilsonin lovetoddler tantrumtoddler boytoddler girlbaby boy

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
NickelMom5
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

My son goes to preschool and he learns stuff needed to start Kindergarten. He can write his name by himself now (he couldn't do that before starting preschool). They work on counting, alphebet, numerals, basic shapes/colors and behavior (sitting quitely and listening to stories, following directions, getting along with others, etc). Preschools should teach things needed to start Kindergarten :/

*ALISHA BROOK*
IT'S TIME FOR A NEW ME!!

wendyjoe
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM

thanks... that s what i figured i been thinking of just home schooling. if kindergarten next yer is the same way i will be home schooling. i don't want kids who can't read until they are 10 ya know? geez people

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

speak with their teacher about your concerns.  you may consider a new school if you don't get the answers you are looking for!

our preschool is a Montessori and we LOVE it!

my son entered preschool at almost 4 so he knew his numbers, letters, shapes, colors, etc. already.  his big focus his first year was writing, math and phonics.  they certainly learned about animals, planets, etc. but the basics were in there for sure.  He's in public K now and started the year knowing pretty much everything and was reading.  His writing has come a long way and he is now writing well above his grade level.  I find the K curriculum to be a little slow but the age range is huge and they have to consider that all the kids are starting from different places.  

my dd started preschool right after she turned 3.  she already knew her letters, shapes and colors but was struggling with numbers.  that was a big focus for her in the beginning of the year as well as fine motor skills.  at this point in the year she know her numbers, is zipping right thru her phonics and is counting a ton.  she's a little over 3 1/2 and isn't writing yet.  she can make a few letters but not many.

M0M0F3B0YS82
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Wonder why your kids preschool isnt teaching ABCs and stuff 

My son goes to Prek and they are teaching what they need to know in order to get into Kindergarten

LACHESIS
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Yes. Lydia knows the days are the week (english and spanish), month, how to count in spanish up to 10, in english- I have no clue how high she can go. Shapes (not just circle, square, triangle). How to spell her name and write her letters.
A lot of what she is learning, Aiden learned the first 3 months of kinder. I thought he was learning a LOT. Holy cow. So different from my oldest son (who will be 22), muchless myself back in the day. If I could, I would attach the weekly and monthly calendars I get for her class.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)