Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

strong willed boy

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM
  • 18 Replies
My son is 18 months old and is soooo strong willed. He is learning how to talk and can say "all done" when he is finished eating. However, he doesnt want to. The ppl who told me how to help him with his speech said to make him sit in his high chair till he will say it. I ask him over and over to please say all done and he tells me no. he will sit in that chair for 2 Or 3 hours being stubborn and telling me no and screaming. Idk what to do, I get so frustrated and so angry sometimes that I have to go lock myself in the bathroom for a few to just calm down. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

What a speech therapist who recommended this?
If it was I have no advice.
If it wasn't I would not go that route. My dd didn't really have a language explosion until she was about 27 months old. Her dr told me, at her 2 year check up, that if she had at least 5-10 words that for me not to worry about it. All children have their own timing for language.

I would just continue to talk to him, read to him, enjoy your little boy. He will talk when he is ready. My DH always told me that our girl will talk when she has something to say.

BeKind2All
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I am having a really hard time keeping my mouth shut about this...2-3 hours in his high chair????? Are you kidding me??!! What mother does that?! That is abuse!

Give him time - he will talk. What's the big hurry? Good God!

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

i'm kind of on the fence with this one.  i had a 45 min stand off with my stubborn daughter when she was 14 months.  she totally knew how to say "please" but one morning refused when she wanted her bottle of milk.  she was screaming and crying but when i would say "say please" she would look me dead in the eye and NOT say it.  about 1/2 way thru, i had her on my lap and we were repeating all the words she knew and when i would get to "please" she would look me dead in the eye and NOT say it.  finally after 45 mins she gave in and said "please".  she never didn't say "please" again.  she also wasn't essentially "caged" in like your son is.  that part bothers me.

i understand you waiting him out once because you've drawn that battle line and you can't give in but if you are doing this over and over and he's still not saying "all done", i would try something else.  2-3 hours is insane to continue.  i'm always more inclined to force manners but "all done" doesn't seem like something i would pick as a battle over and over again.

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM

The only thing I did similar was when my DS was refusing to talk.  He has a severe articulation delay, expressive language delay, and receptive language delay.  He did not get the things he wanted until he attempted to say them.  Even if he said them incorrectly or called it the wrong thing he would still get whatever it was he wanted.  His SLP said to do that and so did my sister...an SLP.  But, I didn't leave him in a highchair for hours.

Example:  He would lift his arms and grunt.  I wouldn't pick him up until he said "up."  He was probably 2 1/2 at the time.

He is still in speech.  He is 4 now and is doing much better.  He still has problems forming his thoughts into sentences that make sense.

lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Do people really except a 1yo to do that much? You need to chill, if it looks like he's done, YOU say "all gone" and take him out the chair, who gives a flip if he doesn't do it, he's not old enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamourer
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM
he knows how to say it but all he wants to do is grunt so he can get up. im doing what i was told to do. dont tell me im being abusive. this is my first child and im doing the best i can. think i like leaving him the chair? no. but idk what else to do. he isnt too young to listen and isnt too young to understand. he knows what i want him to say, but wont because he doesnt feel like it. his speech is behind and this is how i was told to deal with it once he learns how to say something. i love my son very very much, and he isnt hurt while sitting there. infact, he sits there and plays and plays like he doesnt give a damn. im not looking to be badgered as a mother because im a damn good mom. but i have been around allot of kids and i have never seen one with a will and temper like mine does. i asked for advise, not to be insulted. if you dont have anything nice or helpful to say, then keep your mouth shut and to yourself. you have no idea what my life is like or what kinda mom i am or anything about my little boy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM
What people told you to have a 1yo sit in a chair until he says that?
you shouldn't steess over such things. If he's saying no to you then obviously he understands, maybe he's more of a "wait and see" kid instead of talkative, he's only a year old, these things take time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Also are you willing to teach him some phrases using sign language?
It doesn't have to be ASL, but your own hand gestures
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lcherniske
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Don't let it turn into a power struggle. Maybe the speech therapist figured he would give in after 20 min.- i doubt she expected him to be that stubborn. Just say it yourself and help him sign the word. He will do it eventually.
mamourer
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM
What kinda sign do I use? Idk any actual ASL...I'm just so frustrated because he is so stubborn. I'm stubborn and he gives me a real good run for my money. He has only sat there twice for that long, usually he does give in after 20 minutes or so.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)