Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My daughter is 4yr and a super picky eater.  She always has been!  I know she will go a few days picking at her plate and then a few days where she will eat all day long.  Well....this week she has probably ate ONE meal :(  She is drinking fine.  I limit her milk to 2 cups a day, one cup juice, the rest water (or flavored water).  I've never seen her like this.  All week she has said her head hurts or is dizzy or feels funny (obviously she needs to eat SOMETHING).  Today she looks pale and has dark circles under her eyes.  

Has anyone else had issues with eating?  I offer only GOOD/healthy foods.  We do get 'treats' if all meals are ate.  She hasn't gotten to eat any Easter candy b/c she refuses to eat her food.  I'm at a loss here.  Please help!  Thanks!!!!!

**EDIT**  The pedi called back and said it sounds like it could be an inner ear issue.  I will take her this evening or tomorrow morning.  Thank you everyone for all your kind words and help!!!!

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
jwei
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM

You are not alone! you are actually doing a great job by limiting her milk intake, many mothers would allow their child to drink as much milk as possible because she is a picky eater. Make sure she is not dehydrated, and if need be please consult your pediatrician. An average child who is not incentivized by candy concerns me....she may truly be ill.  Ask her if she feels something is "stuck" in her throat, that sensation would suggest acid reflux.   I am an ear, nose, and throat surgeon for children, and hope that you and any other parent dealing with picky eaters will read my many blogs about eating, as well as how diet and dietary habits impact children's health, specifically as it relates to nasal congestion, runny nose, chronic cough, croup, sinus infection, etc. Find out more at www.ahealthierwei.com .  In my self published book "A Healthier Wei", we suggest many ways to deal with the challenges of feeding and the problems of excessive sugar, dairy, and how it causes reflux that medications will not fix.  Best of luck to you. 

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I don't know if this will help but when my DD is ill we make smoothies (out of some combination of  fruits, juice, yogurt, milk) and then make popsicles out of them. I blend fruit, yogurt and even some cereal in a blender and then freeze them. She  loves popsicles so will usually eat them even if she's pretty sick. You could freeze in some pediasure or the Carnation to give them more nutritional value. Just a suggestion to maybe get you over this hump, the dizziness and dark circles are worrying.  I hope she gets over this quickly. Good luck :)

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM
It hasn't been an issue in the past......guess we will switch for a ill while. Thanks!

Quoting M0M0F3B0YS82:

Pediasure has more nutrients she also might be getting full off the carnation stuff idk i know i did lol 

Quoting rHOPEb:

She gets a gummie flinstone vitamin daily.  And then I mix carnation bfast powder in her milk (one pack will go for 3 cups).  Thanks!!!

Quoting M0M0F3B0YS82:

I would give her pediasure m oldest did that and he thankfully grew out of it lol 

We hadto give him a gummi vitamin and pediasure per drs orders 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Thanks. Thought I could get some ideas or peace of mind here b/c I have to wait til office hours for the nurse line.

Quoting PEEK05:

Wait, can you call an advice nurse? those are usually free. I would say that you are trying to avoid going in if it's something you can handle at home. they should give you some suggestions. :)

Quoting rHOPEb:

Thanks!  That's what I was thinking today....about her nourishment depleting.  She's just so stubborn!  

Quoting PEEK05:

It just sounds like she is severely malnourished and dehydrated.  Dizzy, dark circles, headache...... Eh, your child. Hope she doesn't suffer. Good luck.

Quoting rHOPEb:

B/c other than being grumpy/sassy she's playing fine and acting fine.  Its just so strange how she has suddenly stopped eating.  It didn't hit me until yesterday to be honest.  I'm not one to rush to the pedi right away b/c we have a HUGE deductible so its over $100 a visit until its met.  :(  

Quoting PEEK05:

If she is dizzy from lack of food, she needs to be seen.  Why aren't you taking her in?

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:03 AM
We actually brought up the issue of reflux at her 4yr checkup. She has a bad gag reflex and will throw up if she eats too much, or too fast, or takes too big bite, or simply doesn't like the taste/texture. I will look into the blog. Thank you!

Quoting jwei:

You are not alone! you are actually doing a great job by limiting her milk intake, many mothers would allow their child to drink as much milk as possible because she is a picky eater. Make sure she is not dehydrated, and if need be please consult your pediatrician. An average child who is not incentivized by candy concerns me....she may truly be ill.  Ask her if she feels something is "stuck" in her throat, that sensation would suggest acid reflux.   I am an ear, nose, and throat surgeon for children, and hope that you and any other parent dealing with picky eaters will read my many blogs about eating, as well as how diet and dietary habits impact children's health, specifically as it relates to nasal congestion, runny nose, chronic cough, croup, sinus infection, etc. Find out more at www.ahealthierwei.com .  In my self published book "A Healthier Wei", we suggest many ways to deal with the challenges of feeding and the problems of excessive sugar, dairy, and how it causes reflux that medications will not fix.  Best of luck to you. 

tyfry7496
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM
FEED HER!!!!! Her blood sugar is probably dangerously low. Feed her whatever she will eat. ASK her what she wants. Do NOT wait.

Once you tell a nurse it doctor why she's the way she is they are going to tell you the same thing.

If feeding her doesn't work, then take her to the doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:05 AM
I haven't thought of freezing the smoothies to make popsicles. Thanks!!!!

Quoting JTE11:

I don't know if this will help but when my DD is ill we make smoothies (out of some combination of  fruits, juice, yogurt, milk) and then make popsicles out of them. I blend fruit, yogurt and even some cereal in a blender and then freeze them. She  loves popsicles so will usually eat them even if she's pretty sick. You could freeze in some pediasure or the Carnation to give them more nutritional value. Just a suggestion to maybe get you over this hump, the dizziness and dark circles are worrying.  I hope she gets over this quickly. Good luck :)

brittany208
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I am all for skipping a meal when kids are picky, but thats too long to go not eating anything. Doesnt she want ANYthing? fruit?  yogurt?

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Yesterday (for example) she had 3 bites of pancake (which she asked for and helped me make), a cup of mandarain oranges, and a yogurt.  That is all.........I offered everything under the sun......this morning hubby even offered cookies and milk (which he eats some times for a dessert).  She ate 2 or 3 bites.  :/  She keeps saying her tummy is full.

Quoting brittany208:

I am all for skipping a meal when kids are picky, but thats too long to go not eating anything. Doesnt she want ANYthing? fruit?  yogurt?

OliviaW.
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM
If she's barely eating after a couple of bites it's going to seem like she's full. Does she graze during the day? Maybe she's really sick too...I know my kids don't eat when they don't feel well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN