Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My daughter is 4yr and a super picky eater.  She always has been!  I know she will go a few days picking at her plate and then a few days where she will eat all day long.  Well....this week she has probably ate ONE meal :(  She is drinking fine.  I limit her milk to 2 cups a day, one cup juice, the rest water (or flavored water).  I've never seen her like this.  All week she has said her head hurts or is dizzy or feels funny (obviously she needs to eat SOMETHING).  Today she looks pale and has dark circles under her eyes.  

Has anyone else had issues with eating?  I offer only GOOD/healthy foods.  We do get 'treats' if all meals are ate.  She hasn't gotten to eat any Easter candy b/c she refuses to eat her food.  I'm at a loss here.  Please help!  Thanks!!!!!

**EDIT**  The pedi called back and said it sounds like it could be an inner ear issue.  I will take her this evening or tomorrow morning.  Thank you everyone for all your kind words and help!!!!

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
STVUstudent
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I agree with taking her to the doctor but NOT to giving her pediasure, unless the doctor orders it.  I have seen a lot of picky eaters who become even pickier when they find out that by holding out they get a yummy milkshake...  pediasure will do nothing to increase her appetite.

Most kids this age (2-5) seem to go through spurts where they don't eat more than a few mouthfuls for days at a time, or eat everything in sight.  All three of mine have done it, and the regular appetite usually returns fairly quickly, especially if you don't compensate for missed meals with special treats.

Is there anything healthy she will eat right now? If she won't eat a full meal, maybe some peanut butter on crackers, some fruit?

Quoting DACIA79:

I would take her to the doctor ASAP and give her pediasure in between meals until her eating habits get better.

sidneyb
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
My son is such a picky eater as well. He goes through stages. He once went 5 days without eating. Yes the pedi knew
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Quoting STVUstudent:

That makes sense my boys didn't like pediasure they would rather just eat but I could see how for some kids they might feel like they have won the battle.
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Makes sense!  Yes, I've offered all kinds of fruit or fruit cups, yogurt, peanutbutter, cheese, etc....all things that she normally loves. But this week she just doesn't want it :(  

Quoting STVUstudent:

I agree with taking her to the doctor but NOT to giving her pediasure, unless the doctor orders it.  I have seen a lot of picky eaters who become even pickier when they find out that by holding out they get a yummy milkshake...  pediasure will do nothing to increase her appetite.

Most kids this age (2-5) seem to go through spurts where they don't eat more than a few mouthfuls for days at a time, or eat everything in sight.  All three of mine have done it, and the regular appetite usually returns fairly quickly, especially if you don't compensate for missed meals with special treats.

Is there anything healthy she will eat right now? If she won't eat a full meal, maybe some peanut butter on crackers, some fruit?

Quoting DACIA79:

I would take her to the doctor ASAP and give her pediasure in between meals until her eating habits get better.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Some days she does graze.  I usually leave snack out for her and the other kids in the house.  But this week, she isn't.  But as far as meals go, she will sit and eat a full meal or at least half of it........

Quoting OliviaW.:

If she's barely eating after a couple of bites it's going to seem like she's full. Does she graze during the day? Maybe she's really sick too...I know my kids don't eat when they don't feel well.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I am glad you saw her pediatrician!  If it continutes, I'd keep on them about referring you to a gastroenterologist!  It could be related to her gut in some way (food allergies, celiacs, etc).  One of the main symptoms is feeding refusal!

Good luck!

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Thanks!  She is lactose-intollerant, which took us almost 6mos to figure out when she switched from breastmilk to cow.  UGH!  She also cannot digest fruit juices, and we have to be careful with that.  

Quoting corrinacs:

I am glad you saw her pediatrician!  If it continutes, I'd keep on them about referring you to a gastroenterologist!  It could be related to her gut in some way (food allergies, celiacs, etc).  One of the main symptoms is feeding refusal!

Good luck!

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Gracious.  I know what that's like.  My kids have so many food allergies, I'm having a hard time finding a band to fit on them that allows me to put all ther allergens on it!!!!  Its difficult, but you start to figure it out :)

Have oyu seen a nutritionist?  They can help you find great ways to sneak calories into her diet.  Most kids at this age get most of thier calories from milk.

Could there be other intolerances that you don't know about?  It just sounds like her case isn't completely resolved if she's still refusing to eat.

Good luck!

Quoting rHOPEb:

Thanks!  She is lactose-intollerant, which took us almost 6mos to figure out when she switched from breastmilk to cow.  UGH!  She also cannot digest fruit juices, and we have to be careful with that.  

Quoting corrinacs:

Good luck!

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

No, I haven't.  This has been the first time she's actually refused to eat.  :(  She drinks lactose-free milk and likes it, so I limit her intake of only 2 cups a day.  I probably should add that she LOVES fruit and will eat it in any way, but refuses veggies.  I sneak veggies in smoothies in the summer time.  Thanks for your help.....definitely going to have to keep a close eye on this.....

Quoting corrinacs:

Gracious.  I know what that's like.  My kids have so many food allergies, I'm having a hard time finding a band to fit on them that allows me to put all ther allergens on it!!!!  Its difficult, but you start to figure it out :)

Have oyu seen a nutritionist?  They can help you find great ways to sneak calories into her diet.  Most kids at this age get most of thier calories from milk.

Could there be other intolerances that you don't know about?  It just sounds like her case isn't completely resolved if she's still refusing to eat.

Good luck!

Quoting rHOPEb:

Quoting corrinacs:

Good luck!

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

If she's unable to tolerate fruit juices, she's probably unable to tolerate fruit.  She may have a fructose intolerance (really common).  I'd take out the fruit in her diet and see how that goes.  Mainly fruit high in fructose.

Here's a FODMAP diet spreadsheet.  I'm on this diet and a part of it is low fructose ingestion.  Just pay attention to that area, but itw as the best I could think of LOL

http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/fodmap-intolerances.pdf

Quoting rHOPEb:

No, I haven't.  This has been the first time she's actually refused to eat.  :(  She drinks lactose-free milk and likes it, so I limit her intake of only 2 cups a day.  I probably should add that she LOVES fruit and will eat it in any way, but refuses veggies.  I sneak veggies in smoothies in the summer time.  Thanks for your help.....definitely going to have to keep a close eye on this.....

Quoting corrinacs:

Good luck!

Quoting rHOPEb:

Quoting corrinacs:

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)