Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

sippy cup"!

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son is 3, he has to have a sippy cup to go to sleep but that's the only time he drinks out of one. Sometimes he will drink like 4cups before falling to sleep & will pee through his pull up.. Any opinions on this matter? I also need to figure out how to bring myself to let him sleep in underwear
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM

he will learn to sleep without his "bottle" and you will be able to put him in underwear.

you are enabling him by allowing such behaviour

PEEK05
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I don't know... I would take it away to be honest.

Mznaye
by Jo on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I dont know. Try to take the cup away.
M0M0F3B0YS82
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Frst you gotta take the cup at night away after awhile put him in undies 

corrinacs
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I would press more fluids on him during the day.  But def. not that much water at bedtime!  No wonder he's peeing through his pullups LOL.

As far as underwear, that will come in time.  You will want to switch to having hi sleep in his underwear when you notice his pull up is dry for several weeks or more consecutively.  It will come in time, but its not something you can push or teach.  It will happen when it happens.

Good luck!!

wonderstruck11
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Take away water 30 mins before bed and get him to pee before bed. That is way to much water to be drinking that close to sleep time.
erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:19 AM

IDK maybe explain he only gets one cup do that for a few weeks and then make the cup smaller??  Sorry my DD gets a fresh cup of water every night at bedtime but rarely does she drink any of it.  i was just thinking because its gotten so out of hand it might be easiest to wean him from so much.  As far as through the night you have no chance while he is drinking so much but maybe once you get him down to one very small cup his brain will have caught up and he will be dry.  Dry through the night ( unless your giving 4 cups of water LOL) is a physical milestone that is met by the hormones not by will power.

Tay06
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:20 AM

My son is 2.5 and I'm slowly taking away the sippy cup at night.  He drinks out of regular cups during the day, but he likes his sippy at night.  We are still potty training, so I don't know about the underwear issue.  Good luck :) 

cherylw993
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I am not sure, but my dd who is 3 doesn't drink liquid after dinner and we threw the sippy cups away along time ago. 4 cups of water seems like alot before bed. I wouldn't even drink that much because I would have to get up  in the middle of the night.

HopesNDreams
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Is he drinking for comfort or due to thirst? If it is comfort, you can try to slowly substitute a toy or blanket. Give the toy and a cup at first, then gradually reduce the fluid in the cup until he isn't drinking anything. If it is thirst, increase the amount of fluids given during the day. Straws are a great way to get kids to drink more!

No matter what, I would start a 'no refill' policy for his bedtime drink. When he starts drinking less before bed, he will start to wake up dry more often and you can address the bedtime underwear issue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)