Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Changing my toddler's last name

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:04 AM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this
I would like to change my daughter's last name to mine. Do you think it would be hard to get it changed? I should have never given her his last name . He comes in and out of her life when he feels like it
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:32 AM

hmm, not sure.  does he have legal rights to her?  i ask cuz i don't know if you need his consent for the name change.  at her age the only thing with her name is probably her SSN so you could either just call them and see what is required or call a family lawyer and ask for advice.  many will give a free consult over the phone but you should ask up front.

USMCwife0530
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Bump. Hope someone can help you out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leelee4283
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:58 AM

You cant just up and change her last name. You have to petition the court and the father has to be notified and can contest it. You will have to prove that it is in the best interest of the child and then a judge will decide.

careyphotoo
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:03 AM
They won't let you just change your child's name. Dh ex tried telling him that she was going to change ss last name to hers but she couldn't unless dh signed a paper saying that it was ok or the courts said she could.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyofnoah208
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
The process probably wont be difficult if her father agrees and cooperates. Good luck
M0M0F3B0YS82
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM
And not only that but it's not heap either and depending on your state you have to hire a lawyer to file the papers
Some states you can file the paperwork yourself

Quoting leelee4283:

You cant just up and change her last name. You have to petition the court and the father has to be notified and can contest it. You will have to prove that it is in the best interest of the child and then a judge will decide.

superwoman39
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

hmm, not sure.  does he have legal rights to her?  i ask cuz i don't know if you need his consent for the name change.  at her age the only thing with her name is probably her SSN so you could either just call them and see what is required or call a family lawyer and ask for advice.  many will give a free consult over the phone but you should ask up front.

The judge ordered him to see her on scheduled visits but he doesn't. He thinks he's above the law. He visits when he feels like it. I've talked briefly to my lawyer about it. I have a current bill with him that I'm still paying off. As soon as that's paid off, we'll be taking this to court. Thanks for your help.
superwoman39
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Quoting USMCwife0530:

Bump. Hope someone can help you out.

Thank you!
superwoman39
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Quoting leelee4283:

I am aware of that
superwoman39
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Quoting careyphotoo:

They won't let you just change your child's name. Dh ex tried telling him that she was going to change ss last name to hers but she couldn't unless dh signed a paper saying that it was ok or the courts said she could.

I know. I wish it could be that simple. Thank you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN